Monday, August 7, 2017

UPDATES


It's a rainy Sunday here in Eastern Minnesota, the wife is out, and the cats haven't decided that it's dinner time yet, so I've decided to open up a Spotted Cow beer (In your face, Wisconsin) and sit down to do some Updates on me and my Writing. 


This has felt like a tough year for me as far as my writing has gone. Looking back, I realize I've actually made some good progress, but still... it feels like I've gotten almost nothing done this year. Time is always an issue. The job takes up too much time, and I often feel like I've just gotten home and it's nearly midnight already, and I haven't even had a chance to sit down and type some stuff up yet... but that's a problem every writer has, right? Mostly, I blame Trump. The shitty part of the country took a big old dump all over the rest of us last November and ever since it's been a rough time creatively. It's hard to write about monsters and apocalyptic worlds when it feels like we're living in one right now.

However, despite this feeling, I have gotten some stuff done.


So, let's get to it...

THE CURRENT WIP

This is the same book I started last November back during NaNoWriMo, which was then quickly derailed in the wake of Trump cracking open the Seventh Seal. That was pretty shitty all around, but the good news is, I only failed at NaNoWriMo, I've been working on the book ever since. It doesn't have a title yet. Not really. It had some Working Titles, but they're not really right anymore. And it's still a little early to have a formal back cover summary put together yet, but it's getting closer.

There's progress, slow progress, but progress all the same...


Right now, the book has to do with an Internet Dare involving an Elevator and a Portal to another World. There's monsters and magic, and an endless war in the dead lands between Heaven and Hell, and demigods and heroes of legend, robots fighting trolls, magic weapons, that kind of stuff. I'm pretty sure Hercules is going to show up. It's mostly about a young woman, maybe two, one hunting for a young man she barely knows who has disappeared into the gray world, while the other just wants to destroy everything.

Maybe. It's still fluid.


I got the first part down, at least...

Writing-wise, I'm somewhere in the middle of the book right now, the soggy middle to be honest, and that's slowing me down. It happens. It happened during my first and second book. It probably would've happened in my third one, but that book is just a bunch of disparate parts that won't come together nicely, like a box of puzzle pieces from a bunch of incomplete puzzles. In those cases, I just had to keep gong, sink or swim. That's where I am right now, the luster is off my precious new bauble, and I have found myself in the middle of a giant swamp that I can't see the end of it. But... trudge on. That's all I can do. It's the only choice. Finish the draft, then try to fix it, then try to... drain the swamp, if you will, because this one could work. Maybe.


Thanks, Joe. I hope to have a draft done by the end of the year.

THE NEXT WIP

I know what my next project is going to be. It's not fleshed out yet, it's just a good idea, a little spark in the back of my mind, but it's a strong spark. I was listening to a podcast not too long ago--I listen to a lot of podcasts at work now--and there was this one sentence in the last episode of one of them. Just one sentence, but it was so good. That one sentence bloomed into a whole idea, a scary and mean and magical and wonderful idea. It just lit up in my head. I try not to think about it too much, because I'm busy on other stuff, and it's so good, it's like a coiled spring, so I know if I poke at it too much, it'll unleash and blow up all over the place, and then I won't be able to ignore it, and then it'll just get in the way of my current project, and once that happens, everything gets tangled up and ends up crashing and burning, and I don't want that.

I want to finish my other thing first, and I want this idea to slow-cook for awhile.


It's a really good idea, people.

SHORT STORIES

I've got about a half dozen or so ready to first draft, and maybe that same number ready to be rewritten and fixed and second drafted, but I'm not sure when I'll get to any of them. Most likely in the down time between my current WIP's first and second draft. Maybe. Short Stories seem to have a tendency to pile up, and poke at you. They're kind of annoying in that way. But there's no rush on any of that stuff at the moment, so as far as I'm concerned, they can wait.


Although, I may try to get something together and sent off for this...

THE BLOG

Other than that, there's a long queue of new posts waiting in the wings here at the ol' blog. More Movies I'm looking forward to. More Short Films to watch and review. Plus, next week--Hopefully. Finally--I'll finally start posting my Top 20 All Time Favorite Films list. It almost didn't survive my last computer's death, and it took some time to re-assemble, but I've managed to pull it off. So, at least there's that for you to look forward to.


I got a whole stack of things to work on.

Hopefully I'll find the time,
Jon

No comments: