Thursday, August 10, 2017

Lucky Logan









Today's film is called Logan Lucky.

That's Logan Lucky, got it? Logan. Lucky. It's not Lucky Logan, like how I keep calling it, no matter how hard I try, even though I'm actually interested in the movie and really want to see it.

Say it with me... Logan Lucky.

Even though it was written by suspected fictitious person, Rebecca Blunt, which is most likely a pseudonym for who knows who (Psst...Steven Soderbergh), Logan Lucky is a Steven Soderbergh film through and through. This is apparent the moment you watch the trailer. Quickly paced with fast cuts, lots of wit and style, and packed wall to wall with names like Channing Tatum, Adam Driver, Katie Holmes, Hilary Swank, and Daniel Craig, plus more, it's a really appealing film to me.


It's even more appealing for Soderbergh, I'm sure, who came out of a self-proclaimed "retirement" not just to make this film, but to give a big old middle finger to the Studio System by keeping the marketing and distribution of the movie in-house. It's a daunting prospect, one the Studios are most likely hoping fails miserably, but if it succeeds, it could open up entire new worlds of possibilities to independent filmmakers. 

The Studios are probably shitting their pants right now. 

This type of stuff is, of course, a secondary concern to whether or not the film is actually good, but it's something to be aware of, I guess. We shall see...

Here's the synopsis: The Logans are a hardscrabble family from the hills of West Virginia, and their clan has been famous for its bad luck for nearly 90 years. But the conniving Jimmy Logan (Channing Tatum) decides its time to turn the family's luck around, and with a little help from his friends, the Redneck Robbers, he plans to steal $14 million from the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Oh, boy, it's a heist film.

I love a good heist film. Done right, they're one of my favorite genres. I love the sequence of getting the band back together. I love the style and the cool. I love the tension. I love the twists and turns and the inevitable sudden double-crosses. I love when it all goes bad, and the guns come out. And I really love when it turns out that that was the plan all along. In many ways, heist films hit the same buttons for me as Men on a Mission films do. The disparate team of hard-case individuals that have all been brought together for a dangerous job always brings with them a nice amount of inter-personal conflict and good old fashioned spiky-edged personality clashes, and all of this just adds to the tension as they are pushed toward a single all-or-nothing goal. It's a great formula for drama.

I'm always down for a good heist film.




By the way, if you haven't seen of the films in this little collage I posted here, you should rectify that immediately. These are all great films.

Anyway, let's check out the trailer...


I like it. I like it a lot.

It looks like the backwoods cousin of Ocean's 11. Plus, ripping off those dirty sons of bitches at NASCAR is always good, if you ask me. No offense. Daniel Craig was a surprising hoot too, and I'm all in any time for Channing Tatum and Adam Driver. Those guys are great. Hands down, this looks like a plain old good time at the movies. I can't wait.

LOGAN LUCKY opens August 18th.

Feeling lucky,
Job


No comments: