Thursday, July 6, 2017

War for the Planet of the Apes











I'm super excited.

This is the third, and supposedly finally, film in this franchise. That's sad, but it is supposed to be a trilogy, after all, and honestly, a good ending is necessary if you're going to complete the story, so... sad, but good. Of course, endings mean very little in Hollywood, the story will go on, especially if something hits. Not that I expect this film to be a hit. This franchise must do all right, I mean, they've made three of them, but I don't really hear people talk about these films much. People like me do, of course, but not regular people. Not really. 

Do the mainstream crowds watch these films?


I don't think so.

At least, not as much as they should, because somehow, surprisingly, against all odds and expectations, these new PLANET OF THE APES films are amazing. Somehow, incredibly, while FOX Studios has been busy crapping on the X-Men franchise, and backing ridiculously bad ideas like ID4 Part 2 or Trolls, or pushing hollow garbage like The Revenant, the Planet of the Apes reboot/prequels have quietly become the best big budget film series they've got going. 

The films look good. The effects are amazing, and only surpassed by the incredible performances. Andy Cerkis really needs an Oscar for his various Mo-cap performances... in fact, the Oscars need an Oscar for best Mo-cap performance too. The scripts are smart. They're well-written. They have something to say. Sure, Apes with machine guns are inherently silly, I know, but in these films, they're powerful, believable, fully realized 3-D characters. AND besides all of that, the movies are action-packed and super-explodey, in short... tons of fun. Hands down, these are great movies. I'm a big fan of this franchise, old and new. 

I've talked about them before now... a lot.

And now there's a new one coming out. Here's the synopsis: After the apes suffer unimaginable losses, Caesar wrestles with his darker instincts and begins his own mythic quest to avenge his kind.

Now, that's a really short, really shitty, really vague synopsis, and that's usually a red flag, but I've glimpsed a few more complete summaries other places, so I'm not worried about this film having a weak story. I'm not going to post those synopsises, because I want to stay a little ignorant of the entire plot, so you'll just have to trust me, or go hunt them down yourself. But basically what I'm saying here is... I've heard really good things.

Let's check out the trailers. I've posted a couple...




Oh, man... It's looks so dark and grim, and yet it still has a Chimpanzee holding a machine gun. What more can you ask for? The imagery on display here just makes me want to kiss my fingers as if I was tasting a particularly delicious meal... MWah! Plus, Woody Harrelson as The Colonel? That's just extra awesome.

I love it. LOVE IT!

They've finally made a monkey out of me,
Jon

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES opens on July 14th. Get hyped!


No comments: