Thursday, June 29, 2017

Spider-man: Homecoming









Today's film is Spider-man: Homecoming.

I'm a long time Marvel-head. This is no big secret. That's not to say that I don't like DC or Image books, or any of the smaller publishers out there either, I definitely do. In fact, I'm currently reading more titles from Image than anything else, but when it comes to good old, traditional capes and punching superhero comics, I'm a Marvel guy.

Always have been.


So, as a result, the films of the MCU have been nothing but gravy for me. I think they're the best you can ask for when it comes to global market, big budget, corporate conglomerate owned IP, mega-franchise, action blockbuster cinema. There's a lot of outside pressure when it comes to making these things, and without a doubt, Marvel has the best track record, and as a result, the best "shared universe" franchise going. The DCCU and new Star Wars films don't even come close.

But like I said, I'm a fan.


All that having been said, out of all the Marvel properties, I've never been that into Spider-man.


I'm aware of the character, of course, I know what's going on with his books, you can't be a fan of comics without having at least a vague awareness of current Spider-man. Outside of Batman and Superman, he might the most famous comic characters in the world. He's certainly Marvel's biggest marquee name. But even so, I don't read his books, at least, not the main books... I did read the Ultimate version religiously (which I loved, in fact, I think it was consistently the best mainstream superhero title month after month for over a decade), and I even wrote a little bit about it on occasion, a long time ago.

That title, Ultimate Spider-man, that was an alternate version of the "real" Spider-man. They both existed at the same time, they're the same character, but they aren't the same person. There were two Peter Parker's in two different universes, and one "counted" more than the other.


(Psst... The Ultimate Line was a group of titles published by Marvel comics that were separate from the main universe of characters. The titles featured alternate versions of all of the well-known characters, but they were a little updated for the modern day. It was very successful for over a decade, then it kind of sputtered out, and now all of those titles are gone. In fact, the entire Ultimate Universe was destroyed when the Multiverse collapsed in the ramp up to the Secret Wars mini-series, which was great. I wrote about it here.)

Whatever... never mind.

It doesn't matter. I'm sorry to have to say such nonsense things to you...


While I loved the Sam Raimi Spider-man films, especially the second one, I thought the reboot Amazing Spider-man films by Marc Webb were terrible. And the second one was even worse than the first. They weren't just bad, they were inept, and shockingly so too. But this didn't really upset me, because I'm not invested in the character at all.

Because he's not my guy, y'see?


So, anyway, while the Marvel films were getting off the ground and starting to have some success and beginning to cross-over with each other, there were always a contingent of people who were upset that Sony held the rights to Spider-Man, and not Marvel (as a result of some bad deals and a bankruptcy a few decades ago). They were upset, because this meant that the character would never appear in an MCU film, because Marvel was its own successful studio pretty quickly, with money and power and leverage, and studios are like small children, they hate to share.

Me? I was okay with this.


Like I said above, Spider-man, along with the Fantastic Four and the X-Men characters, has always been one of the big marquee names. He's always cast a long shadow over characters like Captain America, Iron Man, and the rest of Avengers, basically all of the characters the MCU was using to find success, and I thought it was nice to see some of those more lesser known and less obvious characters get a little time in the sun. The MCU was working. It was doing fine.

Honestly, as far as I was concerned, the MCU didn't need Spider-man.


But then some shit happened.

There was some hacking and some bad movies and some even worse corporate decisions. Sony took some big hits. Marvel moved in like a shark smelling blood in the water, and out of nowhere, suddenly a deal was made, and Spider-Man was back in the MCU. They recast him, slipped him into Captain America: Civil War, and he was great. Really great.


Now, he's got a movie all his own coming out, with Marvel and Sony sharing the character. Who saw that coming? I guess money really does conquer all

The Director of this film is Jon Watts, who directed Cop Car in 2015, which I loved. In fact, it almost made my Best of the Year list. So that makes me happy. The writers, on the other hand, I don't recognize any of them--there's eight of them--and I'm not a fan of pretty much any of their credits. That makes me a little nervous. Plus, they give Stan Lee and Steve Ditko a writing credit, which I get, but come on, guys... fucking brown-nosers...

Here's the synopsis: Thrilled by his experience with the Avengers, young Peter Parker returns home to live with his Aunt May. Under the watchful eye of mentor Tony Stark, Parker starts to embrace his newfound identity as Spider-Man. He also tries to return to his normal daily routine -- distracted by thoughts of proving himself to be more than just a friendly neighborhood superhero. Peter must soon put his powers to the test when the evil Vulture emerges to threaten everything that he holds dear.

I'm ready. I'm so ready, I decided to post below a couple of the literal hundreds of different trailers they have put out in the marketing ramp-up for this film's release.

Let's watch...




Charming, right?

I think so. I also think it looks like Spider-man, in all the right ways. That's exciting. Even better, it looks like they're drawing heavily off of Ultimate Spider-man, which is good to see, and not all that surprising, since a lot of the MCU's designs and character decisions were originally pulled from the Ultimate line. So, that's cool. Plus, the buzz is really good. People are liking it. To the surprise of no one, perhaps, I'm looking forward to this film.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING opens on July 7th.

Jon


No comments: