Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Monsters





Today's short film is called MONSTERS.

The film is Directed by Steve Desmond, who also wrote it with Michael Sherman. According to their IMDBs, they're very active short film scene people, but this is the first time I've heard of either of them. Blame me, not them. So anyway, as a result, I don't have a lot to say about either of them or their work, but the initial information I've found on this short film does seem promising.

Don't believe me, check out the synopsis: Jenn lives in an underground bunker with her family, protected from the monsters that now ravage the world. This is the day that she goes outside…

Underground bunker? Monsters? Venturing outside for the first time? 

Awesome. Let's watch...



Classic. Loved it.

This was just your basic Twilight Zone-like short film. There's a twist, a good twist. There were a couple of good twists, actually. MONSTERS keeps you guessing, but it doesn't try to make itself seem too clever either. I appreciate how they used your expectations to pull you into each new reveal, but for all of the twists the film does contain, it's still a pretty straight-forward horror/sci-fi tale. I liked that.

Sure, if you want to give yourself a trophy, you can probably say that you saw at least some of it coming. Good for you, you spotted some classic twists that have been in a thousand short stories and TV shows. The point is, MONSTERS did a good job of it... even though it kind of looked like a TV episode. Whatever, doesn't matter. The actors did a great job. The script was well-written, I don't know how much rewatch value something like this might have, but that's not really a big issue, because the initial viewing at least was a lot of fun.

I'm a big fan of self-contained short films with tight narratives, and this one was definitely a good example of that. That having been said, this film was one of the few times where I'd definitely watch more of this world. It felt a lot like a PURGE-type world to me. I like that, so I'm interested in seeing more of what's going on, and how it all got that way. I'd like to see something pick the story up from the ending, and tell us what happens next.

What happens to the extra kids?

I may have to write this idea down...
Jon



No comments: