Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Night of the Slasher





Today's film is called Night of the Slasher.

I'm kind of interested in today's short film, because it supposedly has contains some commentary on the whole Slasher genre. This may not draw in a lot of real fans, I'm sure it probably gets done a lot, but the slasher genre is not really my thing, so I don't spend a lot of time following it, so... it's new to me! That's not to say that I'm totally uninformed. I recognize good ones, of course, but usually, when it comes to the Slasher stuff, I get bored by the common tropes pretty quickly. This is why the self-aware/self-referential thing appeals to me.

Another positive in this short film's favor is that it claims to have all been shot in a single take. They might be lying, of course, they might try to cleverly hide their edits in passing shadows or something like that, but they might be telling the truth too, which would be kind of cool. The downside, of course, is that these type of filming decisions--being too self-aware, or too concerned with complicated set-ups, for example--can sometimes lead a film to disappear up its own ass, but... hey... maybe not, right? I appreciate the effort, if maybe not the execution.

Also, a side-note, I really like that the killer is wearing a Leonard Nimoy mask. That's a nice little nod to John Carpenter's Halloween movie killer Michael Myers, who is famous for wearing a William Shatner mask.

So, here we go... Shant Hamassian is the writer/director of this film, and his name sounds familiar. I can't place from where, and it doesn't seem like I've seen any of his stuff before now, so... who knows, he just seems familiar to me. Maybe it's nothing. Anyway, other than that bit of memory fluff, I have no insight into his ability or talent. I like the idea he's going with. I like some of the ballsy stuff he's trying to do. I hope he can pull it off, because it sounds ambitious.

We shall see.

Here's the synopsis: A teenage girl must commit horror movie sins such as drink alcohol, do drugs, and have sex to lure a killer and finish him off.

Let's watch...



Okay, so I forgot to watch and see if it was all really done in one shot until right before the end, so I can't be sure, but I think it was. In fact, it would go along way towards explaining why some of the kitchen fight choreography seemed kind of odd...

So, not bad, huh? Kinda fun.

At first I was kind of annoyed that the actress didn't speak at all, but I liked the end reveal of why. I obviously wasn't paying close enough attention at the start, as the reason why never occurred to me. For such a short run time, there was a good mix of humor and blood. The beer drinking scene, and the "some kids say I look like I'm 30 years old" line was pretty damn funny. I also liked the nod to all of the dumb classic "rules" too, the sudden disappearing and reappearing of the killer, their refusal to die, the negating effects of parents returning home, that was all good stuff.

I don't think they quite nailed the balance between commentary and titillation, but it's hard to complain about them lingering on the lead actress's butt for a moment or two too long. Also, the fight itself was kind of oddly paced. This is obviously due to the whole "single shot" thing, but it made for a less than satisfying fight. But those are nitpicks, for the most part, this was all right. Like I said above, I appreciate the attempt to say something--even if it's just to highlight some of the genre's worn-out but beloved tropes--and I appreciate even more the fact that they challenged themselves to make their statement in an interesting way. I also like that they told a pretty self-contained story too.

One thing though... if the girl had survived a previous attack--hence the scar--wouldn't this encounter be "Round 2" and the implied sequel actually be "Round 3"?

Rule breaker,
Jon



No comments: