Wednesday, February 1, 2017

The Nostalgist







In an effort to establish a more regular writing schedule for the new year, I've collected a bunch of genre short films that sounded interesting, and some movie trailers I'm excited about, and put them in a queue, so I could talk about them over the next few months. Content, people, it's all about content here in the Personal Blog Game...

First up is a short film called The Nostalgist.

Written and Directed by Giacomo Cimini, someone with a few short films under their belt--none of which I've seen, of course--the images of the film I've seen look pretty interesting, so I decided to put it first. But then just now, as I was putting this all together, I ran across something that made me pause, and reconsider. According to the background information, this short film is based off a short story by the author of the book Robopocalypse, Daniel H. Wilson. To put it succinctly, I am not a fan. More naked framework awkwardly hung with good ideas that are executed poorly than an actual novel, I find the book more opportunistic than anything else, like it was capitalizing on the fictional oral history trend that took a big shit on genre literature a few years back. I considered ditching the film because of the association, but then I figured, eh... why not?

It can't be any worse than some of the other short films I've posted here... can it?

Here's the synopsis: In the futuristic city of Vanille, with properly tuned ImmerSyst Eyes & Ears the world can look and sound like a paradise. But the life of a father and his young son threatens to disintegrate when the father's device begins to fail. Desperate to avoid facing his own traumatic reality, the man must venture outside to find a replacement, into a city where violence and danger lurk beneath a skim of beautiful illusion.

Okay. Sure, it's a terribly written synopsis, which is a classic bad sign, and seriously your fictional brand names mean nothing to brand new readers, people, just leave them out of the synopsis, but hey... it kind of sounds interesting, right?

Let's find out! God help us, let's find out...



Hey now... that was pretty good.

Not amazing or anything. It was a pretty basic type of Genre Short Story in a Twilight Zone kind of way, and the ending is kind of obvious, but it was well done and looked good, so that's fine with me. I wasn't sure what the Militia/Cop guys' roles were, why they wore those weird boots, or why they even showed up exactly, but whatever, the gist was pretty clear. I like how they handled the boy, but I also felt like they missed an obvious opportunity by not pairing his emotional reactions to colors. These are just little nits, of course, The Nostalgist was good, and had some surprisingly relevant themes for a certain faction of today's society, although the group that would maybe benefit the most, probably wouldn't notice. Oh well, I enjoyed it at least.

Plus, they've got a great poster...
Jon


No comments: