Friday, February 10, 2017

The Girl with all the Gifts







THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS is a popular book.

I've never read it, but I've heard some generally good things, and really, if there's one thing I like, it's zombie apocalypses--so much so, in fact, that I even wrote a novel about it once long ago--so this film has my attention. I've been waiting for it for awhile too, because this was pretty much the one film at Fantastic Fest that I was interested in seeing, but missed. The responses I heard at the Festival were positive, although admittedly luke-warm, but like I said, I like zombie apocalypses, so whatever. I'm fully aware that I'll often give these films a little more leeway than most people, especially now, in what is widely considered to be the far back-end of the Zombie Apocalypse Zeitgeist Wave.

All that having been said, I'm still trying to keep my expectations at a reasonable level, that's just smart movie-going, right? So, while I'm leaning toward "Probably fun", I'm also aware the Director has done a lot of British Genre TV that I'm pretty familiar with, and I do know what a lot of those shows are like, so as a result, I can kind of guess what he's going to bring to the table, quality-wise.

In a nutshell: Moderate expectations.

Here's the  synopsis: A scientist and a teacher living in a dystopian future embark on a journey of survival with a special young girl named Melanie.

(Chandler Bing voice) Could they be any more vague?

Seriously though, hands down, from what I know of the story, and from judging by the trailer, that is one god awful synopsis. There was obviously zero effort put into that.

So, here's the synopsis for the book: Melanie is a very special girl. Dr Caldwell calls her "our little genius." Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh.

Okay... Well, there's definitely a lot more words used in that one than in the previous one, that's for sure, but neither one of them actually tells you anything either. Ridiculous.

Fine, let's just watch the trailer...


I love the bite mask and the chin blood.

In fact, I'm loving most of what I see here. It all looks like good stuff to me. Like I said, this is basically right up my alley, so it looks bloody and desperate and grimy and fun. There's Post-apocalyptic Ruins, a Zombie Outbreak, maybe even a possible Super Soldier Program? I love it. And, as an unexpected bonus, there's even a decent cast. Plus... Post apocalyptic? Overrun by mindless, ravenous monsters? Chances of survival looking pretty slim? Here we are with yet another film that looks to be totally appropriate for this shitty new world we find ourselves in, huh? I'm so in.

THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS opens on February 24th, 2017.

Ready,
Jon


No comments: