Monday, February 20, 2017

Free Fire








Ah, Ben Wheatley...

I really like Ben Wheatley. He's the Writer (along with his usual writing partner and editor, Amy Jump) and Director of the movie Free Fire, which is the film we're going to be talking about today. He's a divisive artist, as his movies basically run the gamut from weird and pretty inaccessible to dazzlingly stylish, but not traditional, but to me, wherever they happen to land on that spectrum, they're still always worth seeing. In fact, his last film, High Rise, was on my Top Ten list last year.

And so, besides the great cast and the stellar look, I think that's the thing that intrigues me the most about this upcoming film... it looks like its going to be a complete departure from High Rise, at least as far as style and tone is concerned. Where High Rise was tightly controlled and meticulously set-up, Free Fire looks like it's going to be fast, loud and wild. Where High Rise was about several characters often separated up and down the length of a tower, Free Fire looks like it's going to mainly focus on a few characters, and mostly take place in one large room. Where High Rise was more dry,  as far as humor goes, Free Fire seems like it will be a lot more tongue-in-cheek. And on and on...

The gamut, my friends.

Here's the synopsis: Set in Boston in 1978, a meeting in a deserted warehouse between two gangs turns into a shootout and a game of survival.

Vague, sure, but once you watch the trailer, I think you'll see that there isn't much else to say.


Good times.

I'll be honest, I'm in already. It's a Wheatley movie that's coming from A24... You really shouldn't need too much else. As I said earlier, I like Wheatley. At the very least, you can count on him being a generally interesting film-maker, but the independent entertainment company backing this film, A24, has been behind some of the best movies put out over the last few years. At this point, for me, just seeing their logo is enough to grab my interest. That's how dependable I've found them to be.

Now, I'm sure there are some people out there who might dismiss this film out-of-hand, and say that the film looks too much like a Guy Ritchie movie. Which means, luckily for you, that you now have a handy-dandy way to determine who the dilettantes in your life are, capisce?

Otherwise, like I said, I'm all in for this film, especially if Shartlo Copley gets killed in it, because he seems like he's an asshole in real life, right?

Free Fire opens March 17, 2017.

Former dilettante,
Jon


No comments: