Monday, February 6, 2017

AMERICAN FABLE






I don't know much about AMERICAN FABLE.

For me, at least, this is a film that has come out of nowhere. I came across the trailer accidentally, after watching something on Youtube, and it started playing automatically afterward, and it intrigued me. There's some really interesting, and incongruous imagery throughout. I like the strange knight, that might be a monster, that might be the main character's sister? I'm not sure. There's a lot of tension and secrets and weirdness in the trailer, all of it set in what seems like a possibly isolated, but otherwise pretty normal Midwestern American farm. Who is the guy in the silo? What is father up too? What is the creature on the horse? Is the magic real, or is it a metaphor for the scary and strange time that is puberty?

I don't know, but I'm intrigued.

The film is by Anne Hamilton. I've never heard of her. According to her IMDB, she's only got a pair of short films on her belt officially, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen either of them before now. That means this is her Feature film debut, and she is writing, directing, and producing. That's definitely impressive, but I don't know enough about her work--and didn't bother to research any--to say whether or not this is a good sign. Does it mean that she has the full faith of the studio on her first film, or is she on her own, the result of a system that is traditionally closed off to women? Is she talented enough to make her own vision, or is this just a vanity project?

I don't know, but like I said, I'm intrigued.

Here's the official synopsis: When 11-year-old Gitty discovers that her beloved father is hiding a wealthy man in her family's silo in order to save their struggling farm, she is forced to choose between saving the man's life or protecting her family from the consequences of their actions. AMERICAN FABLE is a fairytale thriller set in the 1980s rural Midwest about a courageous girl living in a dark - sometimes magical - world.

Let's watch the trailer!



It definitely looks amazing. I love the Farm setting. The sense of isolation and age comes through, and that really adds to the tension and mystery. I liked that. I'm also very intrigued by the horned knight. It seems so central to the film, and yet so far removed from everything else in the trailer, like the stuff with the Dad, or the secret of the man in the silo, all of it, at least until it shows the possible sister character with the same horns... Yeah, I don't know, but I'm interested in finding out.

AMERICAN FABLE opens on February 17th, 2017

Interested,
Jon


No comments: