Monday, November 14, 2016

NaNoWriMo


Okay, so, there's a lot of ground to cover here.

A lot of things have changed concerning all of this NANoWriMo stuff, as my intentions that started out in one place, have already ended up in another, and it's only been a couple of weeks. Y'see, when I was first planning to do a blog about my participation in this year's NaNoWriMo challenge, it was two weeks ago. It was still October then. Everything was still wonderful then. The very air smelled of hope and possibilities. The world was still bright and green and beautiful, children danced and sang; Nothing had gone to shit yet.

But that was then...


I've told you about this, right?

In case you missed it, NaNoWriMo is the incredibly stupid, needlessly difficult to say, acronym for the National Novel Writing Month Challenge. It takes place in November, and the idea is probably pretty self-evident: You write a novel over the course of the month. Or at least 50,000 words of one. That was my goal, at least. If I averaged about 1600-some words a day, at the end of the month, I would have reached my goal. A nearly complete, maybe almost two-thirds done, first draft of a novel. It's a fun and scary prospect with the hardest part being, not only coming up with a story, but maintaining discipline and forward momentum, maintaining somehow keeping yourself from stopping and editing and obsessing, maintaining somehow keeping yourself continually writing. In a nutshell, You can fix it later is the mantra. It's not an easy thing to do.

This year, I decided to try it out for the first time...


And I failed.

Mostly, I'm blaming Trump, because, well... fuck him. However, the real truth is that with everything that was going on, I got off schedule. I fell behind on my word count. Now I'll never make 50,000 words by the end of the month. It's just not going to happen, especially when you consider the fact that Thanksgiving is right around the corner as well, which, seriously... why the fuck didn't anyone thing of that? Why not put the challenge in January? It makes no sense... Anyway, like I said, with the holidays coming up, on top of everything else, yeah... It's not going to happen.

But that's okay, I'm still going to finish the book.


Thanks, Kermit.

I'm almost 8000 words into it now. I like what I've got so far. It's a simple idea, but one that can hold a lot more thematically then you would think at first glance, so that's good. I also know how it ends, and I have plenty of things to throw in there to make it to about 80,000-ish words total, maybe. There's a lot of elements that have been floating around my Idea Folder for awhile that I'm excited to use as well. All things considered, I feel like I'm in a good spot. I'm feeling pretty strong too, writing-wise. So, I'm just going to go on as originally intended, try to write every day with the same word-count goal in mind, except now, without any of the pressure. So that's nice. 

Here's my NaNoWriMo page, if you're interested.

And here's a link to the WIP itself.


So, right off the bat... yeah, I know, the working title is bad, super bad, and it might already be taken. And, yes, the picture doesn't really capture what the story is about. I know. I honestly have no idea what it's from either, I just found it on a random Google Image search, and figured... close enough. Also, the synopsis isn't that tight either. Believe me, I'm aware of all this stuff. How could I not be? I mean, Hellevator? Come on. But like I said, it's a working title. I'll worry about refining that stuff when I'm done. For now, I'm just writing.

I'll fix it later.

Jon

No comments: