Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Hoshino








Another day, another Star Wars Fan Film...

There seems to be no end to Star Wars Fan Films, and for some reason, they all seem to be about Jedi. I should know too, because I've been watching a ton of these things lately, and all so that I could share them with you lucky bastards.

You can find the others here.

I'm going to be honest with you people, the Jedi bore the shit out of me now. The Jedi, the Sith, the Force... it's all so overdone at this point, isn't it? I mean, come on, how much "Parkour Fencing" can people watch? At this point, it seems like people can't get enough of it. At every opportunity, they're like "give me more spinning and jumping! No! MORE! MORE, I said!!!" I'm so over it. I hate to say that before sitting down and watching a short film that is obviously all about Jedi stuff, but it's true. It's always the same... boring. This is one of the main reasons why I'm so interested in the up-coming Star Wars side-film Rogue One... there's no god damn Jedi in it, or at least, not as many as usual. Hopefully. Besides, Vader, of course. Seriously though, I swear, if Jyn Erso turns out to be yet another "The One" force-user, I'm done with the whole franchise.

But I digress...

So, today's fan film is called Hoshino. It was directed by Stephen Vitale, written by Eric Carrasco, and neither of them have much of an on-line presence. At least, not like usual. This particular fan film isn't even listed on IMDB. So, I can't tell you much about them, or judge their work too much. As per tradition, before viewing the film, the people behind it, and their product, are almost a complete mystery to me. It looks like Vitale has made a lot of short films, and apparently Carrasco has written an episode of Supergirl, though, so that's cool. Also, the film stars Anna Akana, who has been in a lot of things, including the movie Ant-Man apparently. She's listed as "The Writer". I think that means that she was the woman at the end of the film who connects Anthony Mackie's Falcon to Michael Pena's Luis, and ultimately Paul Rudd's Scott Lang, which led to Ant-Man appearing in Civil War, and so on and so on, yadda, yadda, yadda...

But once again, I digress...

The synopsis of Hoshino is a simple one: The tale of blind Jedi Master Ko Hoshino and her journey to become one with the force. Now, a word of warning, it's been my experience that when the synopsis is this vague, that's a red flag.

So, on that note, let's see what we got here.

Good luck to us both...



That wasn't too bad.

On the whole, the film was well shot, and decently written. Yeah... Not bad. The Master/Padawan relationship is a little cliched, but well enough, I guess. The effects are decent, and they serve the story well. I really liked the way the present day part of the story implied the greater war going on.

Not bad.

On the other hand, the reveal of the cause of her blindness is maybe a little underwhelming, and focusing on it so much, and her time before she was blind, only ends up like they're ignoring her journey from headstrong upstart to bad ass zatoichi Jedi, which is honestly the meat of the character. Also, and this is coming from someone who has hopefully made his stance on Parkour Fencing clear, a little bit more of the fight at the end would've made the film much more satisfying on the whole. I mean, I know David Mamet says "show up late and leave early", but shit, man... don't leave THAT early.

All in all, not too bad. Good, but not great.
Jon

No comments: