Monday, June 27, 2016

Vestiges





Today, I have another animated short film from France.

I've put a few of these up here over the years, but I can't specifically recall what they were, or when I posted them, so I didn't dig up a link for you. You can look around for it, if you want. As far as I can remember, they're mostly kind of the same, they're generally good and interesting, but also usually more about the animation and the emotional tone, than they are the narrative, y'know? I expect this one will probably be along the same lines.

This one is called Vestiges.

I'm not really sure why, not yet. Some ideas occur to me, but they don't quite fit what it appears the short film is about, or don't make a lot of sense, so... who knows? Hopefully we'll find out.

Anyway, Vestiges was created by group of kids with Tumblrs known only as Naleb, Ester, and Thomas. I assume they're all animation students at EMCA. They apparently made this for a French contest called the Espoirs de l'Animation, which looks like it's all about the animated short films, and according to Naleb's Tumblr, they won the Audience Award at this year's contest, so congratulations!

Good on them.

And so, finally, here's the synopsis: A young girl uses the strength of nature to struggle against the growth of a black mud.


That was nice.

Cute animation, nice designs, clear themes, the whole thing was quick and simple, a familiar tale of nature versus toxins, the pure versus the contaminated. It worked well, I think. Plus, as I've said before, I like it when Creators acknowledge the time constraints of this genre. It signals a self-awareness that is important to good story-telling, I think. Now, in both theme and look, this is very obviously a heavily Hayao Miyazaki-influenced piece, but I don't think this is a bad thing, at least not at this level. It's a good start, and for what it is, it's pretty well done.

Good job,
Jon

No comments: