Friday, June 24, 2016

Sunspring







Okay, so this is a weird one.

This short film is called SUNSPRING, and it was written by an A.I., (both an Artificial Intelligence and a terrible Spielberg movie). The A.I. began its life with the name Jetson, but soon re-named itself, and is now known as Benjamin. He has an IMDB credit. I'm sure you're all familiar with the concept of A.I.s, right? After all, an A.I. was the main bad guy in the classic Matthew Broderick film WarGames.

So, here's the deal... Director Oscar Sharp and New York University A.I. Researcher Ross Goodwin made this film for the Sci-fi London film festival 48 Hour Film Challenge. Benjamin wrote the screenplay after first being fed a ton of sci-fi scripts, and then using a recurrent neural network called long short-term memory, or LSTM for short, kind of like the Predictive Text Function on your phone. You can subscribe to Benjamin's new screenplay updates here and you can like its Facebook here.

Now, I know what you're thinking... "But Jon, you look great, by the way..." (Thanks) "Isn't it dangerous to encourage A.I.s to like... do stuff? I mean, from just looking at all the pop culture stuff out there, when you encourage computers to get smarter, you either end up with all of humanity dead or in chains, or you get a really stupid film."

I hear you. I acknowledge you. This is a valid concern.

Here's the synopsis: A computer generated the screenplay for this short science fiction film.

Uh-huh. Well, all right then. Let's watch the film.



"It's a damn thing scared to say! Nothing is going to be a thing, but I'm the one who got on this rock, with a child, and then I lift the other two."

Powerful. Powerful stuff.

The death knell of Hollywood has been sounded, people. The Age of the A.I. has begun. Soon all of the Oscars will belong to the Machine. Humanity is over. I, for one, welcome our new Robotic Screenplay Masters.

I don't know what you're talking about,
Jon


No comments: