Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Gear



Gear is a short film written and directed by Kevin R. Adams and Joe Ksander, both of whom have previously worked in animation and visual effects on a bunch of different things--even Pacific Rim, which is cool, even though it disappointed me! So anyway, this short film looks like it may be their first real project together, and as such, the question becomes, will their shared experience translate to a successfully executed short film?

Well, that's what we're here to find out, right?

Here's the synopsis: A young girl flees the city with the help of her only ally -- an old broken down construction robot.

Right from the start, I really like that set-up. It sounds fun. However, I also recognize that this type of idea is just vague enough that it could quickly spiral out of control and spill out over the edges of an eight minute short film. In a nutshell, it's possible we've been here before, people, but hopefully not.

Let's find out...



Well, now... that was pretty good, right?

I really liked this. It was shot well enough, the main actress was good, the effects looked nice, and it was smartly written. I liked how the world was pretty clearly defined, and I was impressed by how it was very obviously part of a larger story, but still gave you enough character insight and story context that it worked as a smaller piece. Plus, I'm a sucker for cyberpunk nostalgia, right--who isn't? And this film was positively dripping with it, so thumbs up all around. This short film is a really good example of what someone should reasonably expect from this type of project. It's show-offy, sure, but it's also aware of its own limitations, and it tells its own story, while still being open enough to continue through some other venue. Good job.

Yeah, I definitely liked this one. I would be interested in seeing more of this project.

There was one thing, of course... It's just a little thing, but it always strikes me as funny when an eight minute short film has two minutes worth of credits, especially when they're all dolled up and fancy and deliberately paced. I mean, I realize a lot of people probably worked on this, but come on... It's not what we're here for. Imagine if two hour long films had a half hour worth of credits. If you ask me, when it comes to genre short films, listing the full credits is what the website is for.

Recommended,
Jon


No comments: