Tuesday, December 8, 2015

The Last Man





The Last Man is Written and Directed by Gavin Rothery. He has worked in the Art Department on some movies, including Moon, which is a fantastic film. If you haven't seen it, you need to check it out. Anyway, judging from the stills I've seen, this particular short film seems very Post-apocalyptic, and I don't think it would surprise anyone to find out that I am totally down with that.

Here's the synopsis:

A Deep Reserve soldier is awoken from stasis and finds the world ruined by war.

Well, all right then...


So, I really liked the look and feel of this short film. I liked the character design and the world building bits. That was all good. You can tell a lot of work went into this thing. I really enjoyed this short film, it's a big thumbs up from me, except for one thing: The film ends at the point where all the really interesting things are just about to start... What's the point of that?

It's all build, no blow, y'know?

Disappointing.

It seems like this is kind of a common thing with these short films too. So many of them are treated like prologues, instead of short stories, and that's all right, I guess, but it feels like a waste. It just seems strange to me to want to tell the prologue to a story no one is ever going to get to see. I mean, hope springs eternal, I guess, but shit... come on.

Not bad, not great, in the end... not really much of anything.
Jon


No comments: