Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Timelike



Timelike is a short film from Experience Everything Productions, and it is written and directed by Rich Boylan. According to his IMDB, he hasn't really done much except for a couple of short films, and I haven't seen any of them, so I can't tell you anything about his work. Also, I looked around the web a bit--even employing a much broader spectrum of Google Semantics than usual--and there doesn't seem to be any screen caps of this film out there. Not even a poster! At least, not that I could I find. That's kind of odd, honestly. Usually there's no end to the extra bits and promotional shots floating around. I mean, some of these people put out so much Behind-the-Scenes type stuff that it ends up being longer than the actual film... Some no-name sci-fi short film on Vimeo... like anyone could give a fuck. In the time that I've been posting these short films, it's been my experience that the creation process for a lot of these folks could generally be best described as "Cart Before Horse."

But not in Rich Boylan's case apparently, so... good on him, I guess.

Anyway, the synopsis is somewhat intriguing, right? Madeline and her boyfriend are enjoying a quiet evening at home when they are interrupted by a visit from a stranger bearing a message from Madeline’s future self.

I don't know about you guys, but I love messages from my Future Self, even if they're usually somewhere along the lines of: "You probably shouldn't have eaten that..."

Let's watch...


Well, huh... I really liked this one.

Quick and clever and low-budget. The idea of the Catastrophic Time Loop was really well executed. The film starts leisurely, but quickly dives into a frenetic pace that draws you in a lot more than you would expect. The tension built by the over-lapping and disjointed repeated scenes is very effective, as was the way the technological limitations of old VHS tapes were used, and the little changes in the scene each time were very clever. All around, this was pretty good.

The actors weren't half-bad either, always an amateur short film pleasant surprise.

I mean, sure, the usual Found Footage problems dominate the film, i.e. Why the fuck is the guy still filming once the Shit Hits The Fan? More than that, why the fuck is he filming at all? I get that she just got accepted into college, but is he really toasting this moment with her while filming with a camcorder at the same time? And following that thread makes me question why the film was even done in all Found Footage to begin with. I get that part of the idea is that this tape survives whatever the big brouhaha is, and is then used by the future to pinpoint a target date to return to in order for them to attempt to change the past in some way, just like I also understand the main reason is probably the fact that the Production had basically no money, but seriously, why not go half and half? Half Found Footage, half Traditional? Or maybe just show that the male character is recording the moment before the door knock, and then he sets the camera down? I don't know, maybe it's just me, maybe I'm focusing on it too hard, it's just that the appearance of the Traditional Found Footage Problems (which I discuss here) always throw me out of a movie.

Other than that...? Not bad. Not bad at all. Give it a look.

Nitpick: All Black Converses in 1993?

Me again,
Jon

No comments: