Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The OceanMaker







This is The OceanMaker, a ten minute animated short written and directed by Lucas Martell, who apparently has done some behind-the-scenes work on a few movies I've seen, but as far as I can nothing otherwise quite like this short film. At least, at a glance, I didn't look too hard. Anyway, the bulk of The OceanMaker was reportedly made during a seven week Artists' Retreat in the Caribbean. I assume they mean "written" when they say "the majority was made..." because as I understand it, animation is a somewhat arduous task. Either way, seven weeks in the Caribbean? How does that kind of shit happen? I think I need to have stern talk with my writing group, The Scribblerati.

So what's the film about? Well, the synopsis for The OceanMaker is short and sweet, and actually kinda awesome sounding: After the seas have disappeared, a courageous female pilot fights against vicious sky pirates for control of the last remaining source of water: the clouds.

Sounds good, right? Let's watch...



I liked this. I mean, it's generally short on any kind of real deep narrative, but it was still fun and exciting and pretty well-paced. It looked good too, and the tech--from the planes to the water-gathering equipment--was all interesting. I really liked the two different sets of Air-Pirates and what the main character's distinct interactions with them revealed about the greater world. That was well done. It still kind of suffers from the "sudden ending" feeling you often get with short films, but maybe that's generally unavoidable. This is worth the watch.

Future Air Pirate,
Jon


No comments: