Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Burnt Grass




Burnt Grass is a short film written and directed by Ray Wong. I don't know much about him or his work, so there's not much else for me to say here. Let's get to it then.

From the official synopsis: a dramatic short film about a young couple, Sally (AlexPaxton-Beesley) and Jack (Christopher Jacot), who discover a strange phenomenon in their backyard that duplicates organic life. Sally, obsessed with this idea proceeds to make a duplicate of herself. 

Huh... Well, all right, let's watch...


Not bad, kind of cool, but there's not too much really going on, either. I liked some of the ideas, but at the same time, it feels like they kind of pulled back, only tentatively exploring some of the issues they bring up. All in all, it felt like they didn't go far enough to justify the turn at the end. There was some good set-up, sure, but it just sort of fades out. I was left wondering what the whole thing was trying to say. Did it say anything? I don't know, maybe I missed it, or maybe it didn't, and that's the fault of the filmmaker, or maybe that's just the curse of the short film. Still, eleven minutes ought to be enough for you to tell a full story, right? I'd think so. Anyway, this was generally well done, I think, but in the end, it didn't quite stick the landing.

Also, bad name choice. I know why they chose it, but it still wasn't a good choice.

Just me, no duplicate,
Jon

No comments: