Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Leviathan







So yeah, this has been flooding the Feeds as of late, so you may have already seen this. But if not, what's three minutes out of your day? What are you doing that's so important?

Nothing. That's what, so read on...

The Leviathan is a Proof of Concept Teaser for a film that probably won't ever happen, but who cares because it's a pretty god damn awesome Proof of Concept Teaser. It's by Director Ruairi Robinson and Screenwriter Jim Uhls. You'll see that when you watch the short, because they have totally front-loaded their names on this thing, they're super grandiose about it. I mean, sure... it's their film, so why not, but still... shit, man... talk about blowing your own trumpet.

Maybe it's just me.

I guess I can understand being proud, it's a hell of a good looking little teaser.

Seriously. It really does look great. It sells its world, and the action is tense and well done. I'm not sure what concept they think they're proving, because there's basically zero story to speak of beyond: Hunting Sky-whales on an alien planet can be dangerous. That's cool, but it's not a lot of meat to build a feature out of, really. Some places are calling it "Moby Dick in Space", but I don't think that's a fair summation, mostly due to the absolute dearth of actual characters, or motivation, or story. Whatever. Either way, it's still definitely super entertaining. I've watched it twice so far.

Let's watch it together...



See? That was pretty great, right? Cool. Imaginative. But like I said: Almost zero actual story. Still, they can definitely hang their hats on: Looks awesome. I love the light on the clouds, and the design and execution of the creature. That's great stuff. It's so evocative of a whale in the ocean, obviously, and the classic imagery of a whale hunt, and yet, it's still so alien. Also, I'm a huge fan of the industrial-looking future technology style, that whole Firefly/Aliens/Blade Runner type of look, where everything looks like it was definitely built, and is used daily, by humans, so I love the look of the hunters' gear and vehicles.

In the end, yes, there's no story or characters. It's basically a video game cut-scene, but that isn't really all that detrimental to the end product, at least, not this time out, in my opinion. This film is short but sweet, and it definitely leaves me wanting more.

It's worth a look.

There be whales here,
Jon

No comments: