Thursday, February 12, 2015

Films I'm looking forward to: THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.



I have no connection to the old show. Apparently it made quite the cultural impact on the America TV viewing public at the time, but here we are decades later, and I know pretty much nothing about it. Nothing, save for a general recognition of the title as having been a TV show that once existed, and a single off-handed reference to someone on the show often wearing turtlenecks, from the story Apt Pupil, by Stephen King. That's it. I mean, I may have maybe seen it once maybe on some backwater cable channel, but I really don't think so. A lot of these ancient TV shows look a like now, so I might be thinking of the handful of old Mission Impossible episodes I've seen. I mean, I'm a million years old, it's true, but this show is easily 2 billion, right? It's way before my time, is what I'm saying, and as a result, I have zero knowledge of, and even less of an emotional connection with the series.

I know so little about The Man from U.N.C.L.E., that I had to do a google search just for some reference, and except for a few ridiculously un-fun looking dolls, this is pretty much what I found...



Okay, so at this point, I am comfortable in saying I have never seen a single moment of The Man From U.N.C.L.E.. I mean, jesus, how could I forget that shit? Look at it, it looks like what the crotchety old man character on a family friendly sit-com dreams about. The actors look like they smell like polyester, basement workshops, pipe tobacco, and martinis. I bet they're willing to talk about the good old days at the drop of a hat...

I only go on like this so that you'll understand that I'm judging the trailer for Guy Ritchie's 2015 feature film update solely on its own merits, there's no nostalgia based expectations intruding or anything. The old series might as well not exist.


That is a pretty sweet car though...

So the story goes like this: Napolean Solo is the suavest, most awesomely cool, super secret CIA agent in all the swinging 60s wide western world. Illya Kuryakin is the youngest, most lethal and baddest of all bad asses that KGB has to offer. They are played by Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer respectively, two men in desperate need of a quality film to star in... Anyway, their characters are enemies, naturally, as the world was locked in the most frigid years of the Cold War at the time. Enemies, that is, until the day some ex-Nazis form an evil (crime? terrorist? boggle?) organization called THRUSH, which leads to our heroes being recruited to work for U.N.C.L.E., the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, with the purpose of bringing down THRUSH, which apparently stands for nothing. It's just THRUSH, I guess. During the course of this most dangerous of assignments, I can only presume that both men soon realize that only by working together, can they save the world, and along the way they maybe learn a little bit about themselves... and each other...

I don't know, like I said... I never watched the show.

But this trailer? This trailer, I like. 

Let's watch...



I kind of dug that.

Man... Guy Ritchie, huh? He is like Wes Anderson and Sofia Coppola, there's just no mistaking their work, is there? It looks like fun though. I love the aesthetic and I really like the tone. Cavill's delivery is fantastic. The cast is good, and I really like that the characters are inhabiting the over-the-top Mod 60s setting, treating it as if it's just their world, accepting its rules and rhythms, instead of spending the whole movie winking at the audience about how crazy the fashion looks--at least from what I can tell from the trailer--so that's a good thing. I'm interested.

I'm going keep an eye out for this.
Jon

No comments: