Monday, January 26, 2015

Updates: The Work continues...


The new year is well under way, and as per usual, I am a little behind on this blog, and on my writing in general, but that's about to change. Hopefully. Maybe. Probably not, to be honest... but God damn it, I'm gonna try! Actually, I feel pretty good about where I am at the moment. I have a good routine, I have some solid projects on deck, and I'm feeling the itch. The coming year should be good.

And all of that means that it's time once again to do what I occasionally do here...

Updates!


Let's do this...

I've got a few things piling up for the blog. There will be the usual random movie trailers and TV stuff (2015 looks like it's gonna be a fun year at the movies), as well as some new short films I liked, so I'll be sharing all of that with you in the coming days, weeks, and months. However, for those of you who might be looking forward to the tradition, I'm currently debating whether or not to even bother writing up anything for the Oscars this year. I usually do some predictions and reactions and what-not, but this year just feels so unexciting. More so than usual, it feels like the expected crop of Oscar pap is even more bland and formulaic than in previous years. I don't know, I guess I don't really have any major specific complaints about all--or at least some--of the nominees other than it seems like a lot of the really exciting films this year were at best under-nominated, but most were just out right ignored... So, I don't know. I haven't decided yet, but at the moment, it's looking like: Nope. Besides, right now it's pretty obvious it's gonna come down to a foot race between Birdman and Boyhood, which isn't too bad a choice given how dull and crappy some of the other nominees are, but that's not very exciting as far as Oscar-watching is concerned.


In the "here's a big shock" category, I still have some Final Draft work to do on Gunslingers of the Apocalypse, but I'm in no real hurry there. Maybe by the end of the year. We'll see. Other than that, this has been a not too bad year for me, as far as writing is concerned (other stuff too, but... we're focusing here). I had two short stories published this year, and that was awesome. Yay me. I've talked about all of this before, of course, right here most recently, but you can also find all of the details on what, where, and how over on the sidebar to the left. You should check it out, it's fun stuff, and at only $2 or $3 a pop, it's not like you can really go too wrong, right?

Right.

Also, on the good news front: Little Ms. Super Cute Wife has finally abandoned all pretense and has admitted publicly before God and Congress and Country that she has no intention whatsoever of ever using her office space up in our half attic. "It's cold," she says, which immediately tells me two possible things: 1. The half attic might be haunted. Or 2. Little Ms. Super Cute Wife has an unhealthy addiction to Space Heaters. Either way, the half attic is now mine, and mostly cleaned up and de-wifed. Soon I will be going up there a couple of hours each evening and attempting to get some writing progress done. This will be a new thing for me. I've never had a "writing space" before, I usually do my work wherever's clever, y'know? So, we'll see how this experiment works out. I've got a good chair and table and some nice art to hang, I think it'll be good.


Fingers crossed.

As for my writing itself,  much like my life, it continues to progress. As some of you may or may not recall, after the death of my last WIP, I've been working on a First Chapter project. The idea was to take four ideas that I have clamoring for attention in my notes and write up their possible first chapters. It was fun, and since each one was different, it turned into a kind of challenging creative experiment. At least for the first three. The first three went really well, I think. I came out the far side with some viable starting points with real characters and real hooks, the type of things I could return to, polish, and then leap into the rest of the story from. All in all, I'm really happy with them.

The fourth one though, the fourth one has been giving me fits. The beginning I intended? Not working out. I've tried a couple of times, some different angles, but... nope. It was gonna be this thing that started in space and ended up back on Earth, a Space Opera-ish idea with a parallel Broken Earth plot, all of it spinning out of a couple of old short story ideas, but now I'm thinking that's all wrong, so I'm gonna give this recently out-of-the-blue new idea a chance.

We'll see where it goes.

At the same time, I recently blurted out the first draft of a short story. It's rushed and rough, of course, but I think it turned out all right. Now I just have to go back over it and kind of tease out the theme and stuff, while re-writing and shaping. This, and that last First Chapter idea mentioned in the previous paragraph, will be what I'll be spending the next couple of weeks on.

And after all that stuff is done, then comes the second draft of Agatha Ironhand...


And that's my year, friends.

How's yours looking?
Jon

No comments: