Thursday, December 11, 2014

Films I'm looking forward to: Mad Max Fury Road, the Theatrical Trailer





So this showed up yesterday...

I've been talking about/thinking of/looking forward to this film forever, mostly because it has been in one form of production or another for well over a quarter of a decade now. Originally, the film was supposed to star the original Max himself, well known Crazy DouchebagMel Gibson. But then God and the Iraq War said: "Stop it. No." and production was shut down for years. Years. As in, for most of the past decade. Crazy, right? Years, until finally, quietly, it all started up again. In Nambia, principal photography had finally begun... supposedly. At first, there were only whispers and hints. It was honestly unclear if anything was actually happening at all.

At the time, in 2013, I said thisIgnoring wars, terrorist actions, storms, local genocides, and who knows how many other plagues sent by a vengeful All Mighty, Mad Max: Fury Road has spit in the eye of God and is well underway, it might even be done filming as we speak. And I just want to state for the record, I fully support this. I love the Mad Max movies and can't wait to see Tom Hardy in this role. Okay sure, his Bane was ridiculous and stupid, but that was mostly due to the fact that the character is inherently stupid and so was the script, the guy is great and I can't wait to see his spin on that perennial post-apocalyptic wandering ronin Max. 

I was obviously very excited then, and by nothing other than just the idea that the film was happening. No pictures, no film clips, no nothing, that's the depth of my love for the series, kids. Of course, in 2013, I was also excited to see Now You See Me, apparently... what can I say? I guess I'm easily excited. We all have regrets, right? I didn't know any better then, but I eventually learned the folly of that particular hope... we all did...  We all did...

Whatever. Anyway...

Then Comic Con happened... WOOO!

The footage looked amazing. Incredible. So good. Way better than you could have ever dared to hope. Sure, sure, there's a good chance that it could just be an awesome trailer and the movie could still be an ungodly piece of shit, that crap happens all the time. But still, hope springs eternal, it certainly looked like it's everything I'd want from a new Mad Max film. 

But then, to me, the formula is simple.

You put in a little Tom Hardy as "Mad" Max Rockatansky, the warrior Max... In the roar of an engine, he lost everything and became a shell of a man, a burnt out, desolate man, a man haunted by the demons of his past. A man who wandered out into the wasteland to die. And it was here, in this blighted place, that he learned to live again...


Add in an amazing-looking Charlize Theron, with a shaved head and cyborg arm as The Imperator Furiosa, leading a battered convoy across the endless wasteland...


Plus a butt-load of crazy...


And it's gonna be fantastic.

Right? Let's watch the new trailer...



Awesome. Let's watch it again... Go on. It's okay. I'll wait. 

So amazing, right? It strikes such a great tone. It's so exciting and wild. Seriously, that is a fine God damn trailer right there, people. Fine and dandy. So, what's it gonna be about? Well, I'm not entirely sure. If I were to guess, I'd think it probably goes something like this: Max gets caught by a bunch of Crazy-ass Desert Rats who are chasing after Charlize Theron's convoy because it's hauling fertile ladies. Maybe gas too. Something like that. It doesn't matter. Whatever it is, it has value, so people want it. Desperate people. Dangerous people. Crazy people. And as a result: The White Line Nightmare, my friends. It turns into one big ass chase, petal to the metal, hammer down, and high octane, full bore asphalt and blood. Max and Charlize end up banding together in order to show the ragged filth of the Wastelands exactly what's what, get me? You know what I'm talking about. Just like you must know that it sounds good to me. How about you? It should. I mean, really if Days of Thunder taught us only one thing, it's this: Rubbing is racing, amirite? 

Rubbing is racing.

Here's an odd thing to ponder: Did you know there are people out there in the Wilds of the Internet who think the original trilogy of Mad Max films aren't in linear order? That there are people out there who never noticed that the Interceptor was the same car in the 1st and 2nd films? And that some of those people never caught what the car represented toward the character?

Weird, right?

Also, because we're here... what's the deal with Bruce Spence's characters in The Road Warrior and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome? Are they the same guy? If so, why doesn't he and Max seem to recognize each other? If not, why cast the same guy, and then have him look, dress, and act in a very similar manner, because that's just being mean to the audience.

Anyway...

In the end, I'm just gonna say it... It looks like we've maybe got us something fantastic here, kids. Hopefully. Maybe. I honestly can't wait to find out. Also, it should be noted that this film comes out on May 1st, 2015, and then on May 15th, 2015... Avengers: Age of Ultron. 

Truly, what a lovely day,
Jon


No comments: