Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Films I'm looking forward to: Jurassic World


Somewhere within the ridiculous swirling cacophony that was the Star Wars teaser trailer release bruh-haha, the Jurassic World trailer was lost, and forgotten.

I'm kind of a fan of the Jurassic Park series. Kind of. I guess. Not a huge one, or nothing. I mean, I guess I've seen all of them, maybe twice. The first one was fun, but I probably haven't seen it in 20 years. Part 2 was terrible, as I recall. There's a part in that film that features gymnastics that's a strong contender for the worst moment ever filmed in a movie. Although, to be fair, the part where the bus is hanging over the cliff and the glass is breaking under Julianne Moore's fingers? That was pretty good. And the third one? The third one was okay... wasn't it? I haven't seen it in awhile. Actually, I don't remember very much about that one. Hmmm... Y'know what? Upon closer examination, it turns out it's probably more fair for me to say that I'm not NOT a fan of the Jurassic Park series, than to claim anything else.

Whatever.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say here is that when I heard that Jurassic World--the fourth Jurassic Park film--was happening, I basically had zero interest. I didn't love it. I didn't hate it. It didn't even blip on my radar.

But then I started to hear things...

Chris Pratt. I do like Chris Pratt. Bryce Dallas Howard. I guess I like her in theory, although I'm not sure she's ever been in anything good. Raptor buddies. Buddies? Like a dog? Hmmm... okay, I'm kind of interested. And then there's this, this maybe real, maybe fake piece of supposed concept art. Dinosaur-humanoid hybrids! How crazy awesome are those? Okay, yeah. Yeah, I'm interested. Do you think it's real? Would they actually try to do something crazy like this?

Could we be so lucky?


The trailer actually seems to support it... maybe...

What? You haven't watched the trailer? Well, shit, let's watch it then.



Not bad... Not great either.

Okay, I'm not 100% sold, but I'm kinda sold. It was oddly paced and surprisingly sedate, but still... I'm definitely interested. Even though the story seems to be the exact same story of the exact same idiots doing the exact same idiot stuff that you see in every other Jurassic Park movie, yeah, I'm kind of interested. I liked the glimpse of the Velociraptor hunting pack at the end, with Chris Pratt riding along on the motorcycle, that was nice and crazy. The CGI looked like shit, of course, but then it always seems to look like shit at this stage. Also, during the part when Chris is being chased and you can see the legs of the dinosaur that is gaining on him, it has ankle spurs just like the dinosaur hybrid  does on the far right of that piece of supposed Concept Art that I posted above.

That intrigues me.

Thoughts?
Jon

1 comment:

Mark Teats said...

A big fan of all Parks Jurassic myself. I'll have to see it (and of course my son who is part dinosaur will have to see it too). I hope they spare no expense on this one.