Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Overwatch Cinematic Trailer





There's a new video game on the way from Blizzard Entertainment, and it's called Overwatch. The internet is going a little nutso-crazy-pants over it. Myself, I'm only so-so on the game. From what I've seen of the gameplay, it doesn't really interest me. It looks okay, I'm sure it's fun, but it's not really my type of thing when it comes to games. I feel the same about the character design too. I'm just not that hot on the overall style of it, it's too cartoony-anime-ish for me.

So why the post, you ask? 

Well, while at first blush, it might sound like they don't have much to draw me in, that's not entirely true, because it turns out, they have a Cinematic trailer. If any long time readers actually exist out there, I'm sure they would all agree with me when I say: I love a good Video Game Cinematic trailer.

Which is what we've got here. 

Let's watch...



I love it. 

It's fun. It's fast. It sets up the story and then pays it off really nicely in the end. It features a clear theme and even a little bit of a character arc too. I think they made some good choices when it came to which heroes and villains to showcase, all of whom were clearly drawn personality-wise. Plus, come on, everyone loves a hyper-intelligent gorilla in small glasses, right? Also, I love the kid's reaction to Tracer saying her catch-phrase. This was good stuff. I'd totally watch more of this, if it were a show.

Too bad the game looks kind of meh...

Jon

No comments: