Friday, November 28, 2014

Films I'm looking forward to: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens


My story is no different from many of those like me...

I first saw Star Wars in 1977 and my brain exploded. That was it. At that moment, the first of the three Georges (Lucas, Miller, and Romero) took up permanent residence in my head. Now, Lucas and I have had our disagreements in the years since, but despite his constant and seemingly deliberate efforts to run me off, the franchise has never really left me.

Which brings us to this new teaser, the beginning of a new era.

Obviously, this has hit the Internet like a bomb, which is not surprising really, so you've probably seen it already. God knows I've watched it more than a few times at this point.

But let's watch it again...


That was pretty awesome, man.

Quick, but pretty awesome. We don't see much, just some glimpses. We get to see our most of our new heroes, but almost none of the old... We see John Boyega as a Stormtrooper. Daisy Ridley as some kind of dessert scavenger, I guess. Oscar Issac flying an X-wing. We see a few extra details tossed in there, like a cool new roller droid, maybe a new version of an R2 Unit? And we see some of the new gear and ships and worlds, of course. We also get a glimpse of one of our villains carrying a very distinctive lightsaber, which is probably what everyone is going to talk about the most in the wake of this teaser, and is also--probably--Adam Driver, maybe... maybe it's someone else...?

And then they hit us with the famous fanfare from the classic Williams theme and we see the Millennium Falcon taking on some TIE fighters, and well, that basically seals the deal, right?

It certainly did for me.

But here's my problem: The Prequels, of course, because they were fucking awful. In fact, the less said about them, the better, right? Right. But still, their legacy is there. The taint of it exists. And then there's J.J. Abrams. This is my biggest worry, to be honest. I'm not the biggest J.J. Abrams fan in the world, y'see, and I can't help but be afraid that we might be seeing exactly why that is on display right here right now. Abrams is really good at making stuff look super awesome. He has a fantastic eye. He's also really great at coming up with  some pretty cool and attention-grabbing set-ups, but then once you're into the actual film itself, I've found that his stories rarely stick the landings, at least for me. I mean, I don't want to bring up the last Star Trek film, but... after that piece of shit, after the nonsense of Cloverleaf and Super 8, I think it's fair to say there's a good chance he could blow this. Besides, it's happened before, right?

We shall see.... we shall see.


Here's hoping they get it right this time,
Jon

No comments: