Friday, October 17, 2014

Films I'm looking forward to - Inherent Vice


With noticeable--and admittedly, perhaps avoidable--shades of Big Lebowski coming along for the ride, here is the latest from Paul Thomas Anderson. When it comes to his work, I am both a huge fan and not a fan at all. He generally makes movies I love, even if I never need to see the majority of them more than once. So, the art and beauty is high, but the re-watchability is low, I guess is what I'm saying. Not always, of course, but often. At least for me. Your own opinion may vary. Whatever the case, he's undoubtedly a fantastic film maker, and after seeing this trailer, I can't wait to see the film. Great cast. Great look. Seems funny. I'm interested. Inherent Vice is based on a book by Thomas Pynchon of the same title (available here). I haven't read it, but it's on my list now.

Here's the synopsis: It's been a while since Doc Sportello has seen his ex- girlfriend. Suddenly she shows up with a story about a plot to kidnap a billionaire land developer whom she just happens to be in love with. It's the tail end of the psychedelic sixties in L.A., and Doc knows that "love" is just another one of those words going around at the moment, like "trip" or "groovy," except that this one usually leads to trouble... 

I'm a sucker for a hard-luck PI, man. Especially in L.A. Jake. Fletch. Dude. And now Doc. Awesome. I love it. Now, unfortunately some people have taken to calling this type of film "Stoner Noir", but hopefully that's a term that never catches on, because it's stupid.

Fingers crossed. In the meantime, let's check out the trailer...



Can't wait. 
Jon

No comments: