Thursday, October 9, 2014

Entangled

Here's an interesting short film. It's called Entangled, and it's written and directed by Tony Elliot. He is one of the writers of the super awesome TV show Orphan Black, which I have professed my love for on more than one occasion.




Here's the film's official synopsis from the TIFF site:

Forced to care for her catatonic lover Malcolm after a secret quantum experiment goes awry, Erin is determined to uncover the cause of his condition — even at the risk of her own life.

Sounds interesting, maybe... but why is it called Entangled, you ask? Well, the big hint is the appearance of the word "quantum" in the synopsis. That makes me think the film will deal with something called Quantum Entanglement. It basically (kind of) work like this: One thing existing in two places at the same time. A little more complex than that, but whatever. It's a pretty neat idea, one that pops up in sci-fi stuff quite a bit actually. I think Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle figures in there somewhere, maybe. Not that that is really relevant, but y'know... Breaking Bad was a real cool show. Anyway, I've seen Quantum Entanglement used in stories as a kind of long distance information transfer, or as a type of teleporter or even as a cloning device type of thing. In fact, the first time I ever heard of it was in a JLA comic back in the mid 90s, but all I remember from that was the idea itself and the part when Batman vanishes--poof--during a critical moment. It's kind of hazy after that. None of these examples were probably all that technically accurate, but... duh. Whatever. Like I was saying, the film's probably called Entangled because of something to do with Quantum Entanglement.

Let's watch.


Hmmm. Not bad. Not bad. Nothing too flashing, but I liked it. Nice performances. And it looked good. Plus, I totally called it on the whole Quantum Entanglement thing. 

Kind of cool, right?

Jon

No comments: