Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Films I'm looking forward to - Fury


Looking at his IMDB page, turns out I'm only a luke-warm fan of Writer/Director David Ayer

I definitely wasn't as big a fan of Training Day as the rest of the world seemed to be. S.W.A.T.Dark Blue, and U-571 are at best mediocre, but even that seems like a little overly generous of a summation. The first The Fast and The Furious film was nothing but a cheap knock-off of Point Break, redeemed only by the last few all-bets-are-off, completely crazy-ass entries into the franchise. End of Watch felt like it had been originally written in 1996 and was never updated in 2012 so that it would make sense in a world where everyone has a cell phone. Harsh Times almost worked, except for the fact that I'm pretty sure the main character was supposed to be Latino and yet, he was played by Christen Bale. Also, like End of Times, the ending was terrible. I haven't seen Sabotage, that's the most recent Schwarzenegger film. I might get to it. Probably not. It's hard watching Arnold's old man waistline slowly creep its way up his torso.

In a nutshell, without a doubt David Ayer's films drip with machismo, but they also seem to generally lack a real cohesive theme. It seems to me like they're all big moments, but with very little of the type of foundation, usually built out of character and smaller moments, required in order to really sell those climaxes. On average, I have found them to be really nice looking, but ultimately disappointing.

That being said, I love what I'm seeing from his latest: Fury.

Here's the synopsis: April, 1945. As the Allies make their final push in the European Theatre, a battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy (Brad Pitt) commands a Sherman tank and her five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Outnumbered and outgunned, and with a rookie soldier thrust into their platoon, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.

Wardaddy, huh? All right, I guess... 

Let's check out the trailer.



See? What'd I tell you? Looks manly as fuck, right? Kind of par for the course for this guy. But still, a tooth and nails, hard-scrabble, men-on-a-mission, desperate last stand, tank fight of a WWII movie? I am in, man. I am totally in. Totally, I love it. Great cast. The action looks fantastic. The cinematography is stark and brutal, just some fantastic images. I'm in. Let's just hope, despite the pattern set by the rest of his oeuvre, that Ayers knocks this one out of the park.

Boom,
Jon

No comments: