Thursday, August 21, 2014

Films I'm looking forward to - Automata


I really like the trailer for this film. 

A lot. It's not like it's wildly original or anything, there's definite shades of Blade Runner here, not to mention a general Gilliam/Blomkamp aesthetic going on. It kind of looks like what you would've wanted from I, Robot... if it hadn't sucked. I'm generally a big fan of the various elements on display here individually, of course, but I really like the way they've all been put together here specifically. I've never seen anything by Director Gabe Ibanez before, but I think I'm going to have to change that and check out some of his other stuff, because this looks good. Really good.

The film's synopsis goes as thus: Jacq Vaucan (Banderas) is an insurance agent for ROC robotics corporation, investigating what should be a routine case of someone illegally modifying a robot. What he discovers instead will have profound consequences for the future of humanity.

Okay, sure, nothing too shocking there, right? I mean, you can probably guess what the oh so mysterious thing he discovers is going to be without even seeing the trailer. Seriously, people, never trust a robot, that's just human survival 101... But like I said above, yes, it's not exactly original, but it does look really fun. At least I think so. And Antonio Banderas looks ready, don't you think? He looks right for the world of the film. Melanie Griffith, on the other hand, looks a little more rough. I mean, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I couldn't really tell if her face was supposed to be all weird due to special effects, or if it's just the horrifying result of way too much plastic surgery. That shit is sad, man. She looks like she's had a stroke.

Whatever. Either way, I'm in.

Let's take a look at the trailer, eh?



Was I right or was I right? Pretty cool, huh?

I'm definitely looking forward to this one,
Jon

2 comments:

Michael Pippenger said...

Okay, that looks awesome! I love that most of the big name actors are all but unidentifiable by looks alone.

I also love that I have to "prove" that I am not a robot to make this post!

PIP

Jon said...

Security is important. Never trust a robot!

And yes, totally awesome.