Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Films I'm looking forward to - Zero Theorem (2nd trailer)


I keep forgetting this film exists and is out there... or at least, soon will be... I've mentioned the film before now, of course, right here. How could I not? It's Terry Gilliam, and it is a well established fact that I love me some Terry Gilliam. Not only is he a Python alum, but his filmography is the bleeding edge of imaginative and cool when it comes to genre work. Don't believe me, take a look.

See? I told you.

The reason I keep forgetting about this film is because Terry Gilliam films take awhile to come out. Mainly due to the fact that the guy has always had problems with getting his stuff made. Legal problems, financial problems, it's almost tradition, his sets are plagued with issues. Heath Ledger died in the middle of filming The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. And the obstacles were so constant, so great on the set of his continuing effort to make a Don Quixote film that it was turned into the fantastic documentary Lost in La Mancha, a film that if you haven't seen, you should. Basically, he's a director who's never had it easy when it comes to getting his vision to the screen at all, let alone whole and untouched, and when you add to that the fact that his vision often leaves the more mainstream audience a bit cold, well...


Let's just say his films have become more like rare and special events, something more akin to spotting Bigfoot in the wild. They're worth your time, but they also require your patience. Like I said, they're usually slow to get here. In this case though, Zero Theorem seems to be taking longer than usual. That's why I keep forgetting the film is on the way. That's all right though, because it makes the reminders that much more fresh and exciting, getting a new image or trailer is like re-discovering a Christmas gift you've forgotten to open.

And so... here's the latest trailer.



It's very Gilliam, right?

Probably not that surprising, after all, much like other famous visionary Directors like Wes Anderson, Zach Snyder, Quentin Tarantino, Tim Burton, Terrence Malick, or even David O. Russel, Gilliam has an unmistakable style. He's a visionary, and the only worry with brash and unique voices like this, is that they might have bloomed early, screaming for the sky out of nowhere like a sudden firework, blowing up bright and loud, but soon enough fading away. The worry is, the thing that once made them interesting and new will become stodgy and airless, their visionary quirks becoming cliches. I don't know if that's the case here, but I've heard so-so early reviews on this one, a couple saying that at times the film felt like an aging and confused Gilliam complaining about the kids and all their twooting-tweeting-whatsits on their doo-dads and gizmos not looking up at the dinner table, blah-blah-blah. Whatever. What can I say, the man is no spring-chicken, folks, so this is not an unlikely possibility...

However, all that having been said, I'll still be there. I'll take bad Gilliam over most of the shit that hits theatres, so we shall see. Until then, I prefer to think sunny thoughts.


Your pal,
Jon

No comments: