Monday, July 28, 2014

Films I'm looking forward to - Mad Max: Fury Road


It's been over a year and a half since I last mentioned this film. And even longer since I first heard it even existed. It's basically been in some form of production for forever now. There was a time when it didn't seem like it was going to happen. Production was delayed. Production was halted. Wars, sand storms, anything and everything that could happen to a film set, seemed to happen to this one. It was almost like the hand of god itself was trying to keep this movie from being made. And yet somehow, against all odds, it persevered, and from the look of this trailer, we're all gonna be the better for it.

But you know what, we'll chat after the jump, okay? For now, let's all just take a moment here to drink in this quick draught of cool and refreshing awesome, shall we?


Fantastic. Amazing.

I loved it. I love the style on display, the action beats, the look. It looks perfect. 

George Miller's Mad Max trilogy is one of the three biggies for me. As a kid, he was one of the ones that blew my mind wide open. He's part of what I call: The Three Georges (Lucas, Miller, and Romero). The three of them all made movies that greatly influenced me, hugely influenced me, both in what I like to watch and what I like to do with my free time. They're the root.

Yeah. I'm a fan.

So, probably somewhat understandably, I was a little worried about this film. Of course I was. Who wouldn't be? Should they even bother? How long has this franchise been dead? Thunderdome was nearly thirty years ago. Plus, didn't The Day After come along with its harsh reality and pretty much kill dead that brief moment in B-film history when the Post-Nuclear Apocalypse was all cool and romantic. Sure, sure, Mad Max and Road Warrior both hinted very heavily at Peak Oil and the resulting Sociological Collapse as being the responsible bogeymen, but time, the influence of American Cold War culture and Thunderdome itself has since firmly rooted the idea of Post-Nuclear War as the Raison d'etre. So, with that in mind, is the topic even relevant anymore? Post-Nuclear Apocalypse is a little like Cyberpunk now, right? Have we moved too far past it for it to even make sense anymore? These were questions I had, fair questions, I think. And that's not even mentioning all the production issues either, like I said, it was like God had a vendetta. The whole production seemingly turned Sisyphean. So, wouldn't it just be better to pull up stakes and go home?

But then I watched this trailer and... yeah, I'm really glad they didn't.

Fuck it, man... it looks fantastic.

I've heard that the film is gonna be a "side-quel", meaning that its story takes place at some point between The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome, but with the Interceptor appearing in the beginning of the trailer, I'm not sure how that's even possible. I'm more inclined to believe it's an alternate tale, with the story taking place in lieu of The Road Warrior. I actually kind of like that. Continuity is not that important really, especially in loosely connected stories. In fact, at a certain point it turns into a chain, choking your narrative out and dragging it down into the murk. Continuity is a good story tool, but it can also make the best creators slaves to the worst, so fuck it. There's no need to tie themselves down to a story line that was set up in some movies made over 30 years ago.

Especially when you have a new Max.

And how great does Tom Hardy look, right? He looks perfect. And forget about Tom Hardy, what about Chalize Theron? The make-up? The robot arm? Fantastic. I love it. As for the story, I've heard it described as one long chase, and it looks like there's tons of practical effects going on too. This is all good news, people. All good news. I can't wait.

Count me in as officially excited,
Jon

No comments: