Monday, June 30, 2014

The Legend of Korra: Book 3


I love Avatar.

No, not the super boring and really stupid--but very pretty--James Cameron movie featuring a space rehash of Dances With Wolves where Mighty Whitey McBland-o saves the big stupid blue Cat People of Pandora from being idiot savages in the face of corporate space-progress. No. No. God, no. Come on, man... I'm talking about Avatar, the Last Airbender, or more specifically in this particular instance, its fantastic spin-off: The Legend of Korra.


Yes, I've talked about this show before. Right here, in fact.

If you don't know it, you should click through that link and read up. You will find that I go on at great length about the whole set-up and what not, as I am wont to do on occasion... okay, maybe not great length, but I do go on. I only do so because I'm a fan, so I can be forgiven for gushing a bit, right? The upside of all that for you, my Dear Reader, is that it's pretty informative, if I do say so myself... and I do... Anyway, tldr, as the kids say: It's a good show and you should check it out. It's funny and smart, the world building is fantastic, and I really love the fact that the people behind it have very obviously given a lot of thought to the little details, like the various inventive ways Bending would be used, and the big things too, like how the show's set-up would affect the growth of the world it's set in, and it's not always positive either. I love that it's not afraid to be a little complex and sophisticated, storytelling-wise. This is especially impressive for an American cartoon. And perhaps just as impressive, the show also features a ton of strong female characters who only get better as the show goes on. This is a really good thing. Seriously, genre fans, you should be watching this show.


Here's the trailer for the coming latest season.


How fantastic does that look, huh?

I know, I know, pretty good god damn fantastic, right? You're interested, right? Of course you are, you have good taste. So why do I bring this up now, you ask? Well, I'll tell you. As you can see from the trailer the 3rd season is just starting, just last week in fact. I haven't seen it yet, because Itunes is being stupid and haven't posted the episode yet, but I will. Oh yes, I will.

This is just your notice from me that you should be watching it too.
Jon

No comments: