Thursday, June 19, 2014

Films I'm looking forward to - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Final Trailer

Oh man... This looks really good.

I know I've mentioned before how excited I am about these films, multiple times even, but I just want to reiterate: This looks so good and I am super excited to see it. One month left, folks. I can't wait.


I mean, come on. How fantastic is that poster? Super fantastic, right? I love how it continues the theme of the poster of the last film. That's a little thing, and honestly, it really should be a given thing when it comes to sequels, but it's just not, so seeing that happen here is a really good sign, I think. Plus... it's a chimp on horseback, that shit never gets old.

But now let's take a moment to watch the trailer, shall we?

Yes. Yes, we shall...


How about that, huh?

It probably comes as no surprise to all y'all out there, but I love that they're just jumping straight into the crazy Post-Apocalyptic goodness foretold in the credits of the last one. I'm always up for a good Apocalypse. And I really love all the homages to the original franchise of Planet of the Apes on display too. They really did a good job of integrating those nods into the last film, because they did it without making the film into a limp bunch of "Hey, remember this?" type of moments, like the shitty new version of Robocop, for instance... which also features Gary Oldman... that's kind of weird... Anyway, the dedication to world-building is fantastic. The sets look great. I love the whole "Life without People" aesthetic going on. I mean, sure, okay, you got me... the lack of wrist crossbows and football pads is like a whole in my heart. I can admit it. I am just a man, aren't I? I am not made of stone. But the way they pick up the strings from the last film is so good, I find I just don't mind.


The consistency of Caesar's character, his continued arc of leadership, not to mention the call back to Franco's character, is great. It's exactly what I want from the film. I love that Koba--only an implied adversary in the last film, one curiously set-up but then left open-ended--is really digging into his role as rival. I love that. I love laying seeds for future work, especially when it doesn't detrimentally impact the current work. Glad to see Maurice back too. Everybody loves Orangutans, right? I know I do. Most of all, I just love the absolute nutty embrace of the crazy-ass story. It's so good to see. No self-conscious winking at the camera. They're treating their world as credible, but still trying to be fun. That's such an important balance. Yes, it's crazy, but that's the setting and we're running with it. Plus, you just don't get stuff like this anymore, or at least, you didn't. The 70s are a bygone era for sci-fi. For the past few decades, as the big studios pour more and more money into these big summer films, they drift towards the center of the road more and more. They're familiar. Reliable. Really, it's understandable why they would get timid and lean more towards safe bets... It's understandable. And it's boring. But now...? I don't know, between films like this, or Snowpiercer, even Edge of Tomorrow, maybe there's a new day... wait for it... dawning... Seriously, folks, there's a chimp riding on horseback, through walls of fire, while shooting two machine guns! That's some crazy sci-fi goodness right there! Revel in it.

One month left.


I can't wait,
Jon

No comments: