Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Films I'm looking forward to - Interstellar (full trailer)

Following yesterday's newly-established tradition, here's another film I've mentioned before that has released a new version of its trailer. What can I say? Get used to it, people, it's that time of year, spring marches on into summer, on and on, intransigent, inexorable. And with it, comes a veritable parade of summer film hype...


So, with a few notable exceptions--like that last terrible Batman film--I've always been a fan of Christopher Nolan. He's a Big Idea filmmaker. He has a clear vision and aesthetic. He's fun. Okay, sure, he's not the best when it comes to filming a fight scene, but hey, we can't all be perfect, right? Anyway, over the past few years he seems to have had an alternating film deal with the studio: Batman film -- Personal film -- Batman film -- Personal film. With titles like The Prestige and Inception being examples of his personal ones, the established pattern at this point is that those films are the ones that are generally much more interesting.

Interstellar is the latest.

Unfettered from the crushing expectations of a multi-billion dollar IP and the studio's demands weighing down on his shoulders, freed from the grim and gritty murk of the Magic-less Nolan Bat-verse, it feels like this time he has swung for "sweeping and epic". That, plus the fact that I'm a total sucker for space stuff, means I'm very excited to see this one.

So, let's watch this...


As it's been said elsewhere, this is a trailer full of "awe".

I'm totally drawn to the subtle Day-After-Tomorrow setting and the fact that the Dying Earth trope is everywhere. I love the mixture of the two. I love the sense of Epic Heroism, the impending sacrifice, the looming unknown dangers of totally blind, deep-space exploration. I am totally enthralled by all of this. Then you go and add in the Wormhole? A super-highway across the universe? I'm seriously hopping this becomes an "Far-side of the Galaxy" type of adventure, desperate astronauts lost in space versus unknown hostile aliens. Is that too much to hope for?

Maybe.

Either way, my bet is that Jessica Chastain is his daughter, years later, all grown up, and still waiting for McConaughey to come back to Earth. Will he come back? Has he found someplace safe? And when he comes back, after all those years away, will he have barely aged at all?

Probably. It's a favorite Sci-fi Space Exploration Story Trope, y'see.

I still can't wait to see,
Jon


No comments: