Monday, May 19, 2014

Films I'm looking forward to - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

This has been out for awhile, but let's talk about it some more...

Apes don't kill Apes...

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, but I did not expect to like Rise of the Planet of the Apes at all. In fact, I didn't expect anything of quality at all. I wasn't even going to bother seeing it. I assumed it would be yet another crappy, poorly-done sequel no one asked for, yet another example of vacuous Hollywood regurgitating its usual lazy stream of feculent, creatively-bankrupt money-grabs ad nauseam. But I went, and I was wrong, because I loved it.

Loved it, people.

It was a great. A damn good time. It was simultaneously a great sequel and a great prequel, all while being a worthy re-imagining of an indisputable classic. Basically, Director Rupert Wyatt did the impossible: He made a great film out of a remake, one that I not only loved and now own, but left me really looking forward to a possible sequel. And I'm not the only one that feels that way either apparently, because the studio actually went and greenlit the thing! A sequel... to the remake of the Planet of the Apes... Unbelievable. The craziest sci-fi franchise of all time begins anew!

Unfortunately, Rupert Wyatt left the production soon after.

Crap. The dreaded "Creative Differences" strikes again. Who knows what the actual reason was... actually, probably someone out there. I suppose I could google it, but... meh. doesn't matter. Anyway you slice it, this was bad news, Wyatt is a big reason for the first film's success. And replacement Directors are almost never good choices, that's why they're the "replacement" instead of the "first choice", y'know what I mean?

Luckily, it appears God really, really wants a sequel to the Planet of the Apes, because the studio tapped Matt Reeves to fill the vacated position. Reeves directed X-Men: First Class--otherwise known as the only X-film still worth a shit--which was released in 2011, the same year as Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and much like that film, I was completely shocked that X-Men: First Class actually turned out to be good. I had assumed it would be yet another tired reboot of a worn out franchise, an effort more about retaining rights than any kind of artistic vision. However, much like Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I was wrong again. Like Rupert Wyatt, Matt Reeves took a big pile of shit and turned it into gold.

So hiring Reeves for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was maybe a good sign.

Then the full length trailer showed up...


Oh yeah... Oh, yeah. You hear me? Oh. Yeah. That's the good stuff right there, people. Apes on horseback! Apes with rifles! Oh, man. I'm telling you... Post-apocalyptic ruins? Even better. I'm so ready for this film.

So ready,
Jon

No comments: