Thursday, March 27, 2014

Films I'm looking forward to - Jupiter Ascending - The Second Trailer


Now, from the title of this post, most of you probably guessed right off that I have probably mentioned this movie here before. And you would be right. It was right here, in fact. That is where I put up the first version of the trailer and where I then gushed about it for a bit. I mentioned how it was original sci-fi and how I was a fan of what I was seeing. I also said one of the main things I found really appealing about the films of the writing/directing team of the Wachowski Siblings is how they're unafraid to go big and crazy and unabashed, and how they make it all look great. Now, I realize I had no idea how big and crazy and unabashed they were actually going for, because from what I gather, the synopsis of Jupiter Ascending goes something like this:

"Jupiter Jones is just a girl who cleans toilets for a living, until the day a warrior from outer space arrives, a half-human/half-albino wolf who tells her that not only has she been marked for death by an ancient intergalactic Empire, but she just might be the next Queen of the Universe."

Yep...

The second trailer is posted below and let me tell you, folks, it is amazing. Seriously, you guys. Amazing. Check it out and see for yourself.



Wha...? What was that?

That was a golden slice of fried awesome, son, that's what that was. Unbelievable, right? Unexpected, definitely. I saw a crazy anime-inspired, hi-adventure, epic space opera fairy tale and I loved it. There's whole new worlds in there, people. Aliens and monsters too. Come on! I love everything about this trailer. I can not wait to see the film. Mid-July can't come soon enough, my friends. I mean, with Captain America 2 in under two weeks, Godzilla is April, then this in July and Guardians of the Galaxy bringing up the rear in August...?

That's a hell of a summer right there, peeps. I'm giddy.

Not surprising, I know. I'll admit it. So let's pause here and bring the room down for a second...

Yes. Yes, sometimes The Wachowski Siblings' efforts can fall a bit short. Yes, sometimes they can get a bit mushy and perhaps a little bombastic. Yes, this is all true. And yes, sometimes these out-of-left-field massive space operas reach for the stars and miss. But you know what? I'd rather have something more akin to Lynch's Dune--Hell, even Prometheus--then another lame and lifeless turd like the Robocop remake or the latest awful Transformers movie. I mean, I love the Marvel movies truly, madly, deeply, y'all know I do...but an original property, a quality original property--especially when it's a crazy new space opera--will always turn my head. I am always interested.

And so, I am definitely interested in this. In fact, I'm looking forward to it.


Whole new worlds, people...

Can't wait,
Jon

No comments: