Sunday, February 16, 2014

The First Wave


David Freyne's short film The First Wave was meant to be a prequel to a feature film in the same vein as BBC show In the Flesh--about a world that has gone through a zombie apocalypse and come out the other side. However, in the rush to move on from such horror, the survivors seem to be neglecting the trauma the former ghouls still carry with them, even though they are now cured.

It's an interesting topic, I guess. I'm enjoying In the Flesh a lot more than I expected too (Here's a link to a trailer for the show right here. There's a nice use of Daniel Johnson's song Deviltown too, if you're interested), but as a general rule I prefer my zombies to be dead, dumb, and incurable, light on cheap metaphors, and with most of the focus on the human survivors.

But y'know... when in Rome...

Let's check it out.



I don't know if the feature film is going forward or not, but my initial reaction after watching this is they're a little overly morose, right? I mean, sure, granted: Zombie Apocalypse, I know, it's probably pretty sad, but what's the point if it's not a little fun to watch, right? It does look good, but I'm not sure how interested I'd be in this particular vision drawn out for two hours or more. I'm interested in stories about surviving a zombie apocalypse, I'm interested in stories about recovering and rebuilding after a zombie apocalypse, but I'm not sure I'd be interested in the story of a former zombie going to therapy.

Thoughts?

Jon


No comments: