Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Films I'm looking forward to - Guardians of the Galaxy

Brace yourself, people. Seriously.


It finally happened. It's finally here.

The first full trailer for the upcoming film: Guardians of the Galaxy.

I've talked about this comic book before this. Remember when I said I was going to read it? Maybe not, it was a year and a half ago... Well, long story short... I did try out the comic. And... I'm not really that big of a fan. It's not the subject, mind you, it's the execution, ya' get me? However, I still love the idea. Guardians of the Galaxy is a big-ass space opera. It's Buck Rogers meets Farscape meets Star Wars. It's ships that look like they were built by people in a dirty and dangerous universe. I love that. I've always loved that. I also love the fact that it was James Gunn that was chosen to direct this weird, crazy-ass gamble of an epic, not-really-superheroes comic book space opera action film. It's totally his type of thing, but he's totally not the guy you'd expect the studio to tap. I love that Vin Diesel is doing the voice of Groot and that Bradley Cooper is the voice of Rocket Raccoon. That's awesome. I love Groot and Rocket Raccoon too. In fact, I love the whole cast. Look at this list: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Lee Pace, Karen Gillain, Benicio Del Toro, Djimon Hounsou, Michael Rooker, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close... GLENN CLOSE!?!? I swear, Glenn Close. That's crazy, man.

So, me being me, I've been crazy with anticipation for this film and for the past few weeks they've been releasing little bits and pieces, dribs and drabs just to whet the appetite. Teasing me! But last night was finally the night. Last night on Jimmy Kimmel, they finally debuted the full trailer. Lucky me, right? Well even luckier, Internet-people posted the trailer on-line early enough that I didn't even have to watch Jimmy Kimmel at all! Huzzah!

Anyway, enough of the bullshit, huh? Let's watch this baby...


Holy crap, this is going to be awesome.

Epic. Epic. Love it. The feel and the designs they got going on here? Love it. There's some really good alien stuff in the background too. All over the place. Good stuff, man. It really looks great. It's a bit of a blur narrative-wise, but what do you expect with such a weird and unknown property, right? This is a pure intro-to-the-masses trailer, a tone-setter. And I'll be honest, I really wasn't expecting them to showcase this franchise's pretty goofy elements right up front, but I'm glad they did, because it means they're not trying to disguise it, which is something that can really backfire on a film when it comes to general audiences. Them folks do not like tonal shifts, know what I mean? 

But will it sell the film? 

That I can't say. I'm sold, that's for sure, but the coming months are really what's going to determine if the greater part of the unwashed masses come to Jesus or not, y'know? Time will tell. Until then, I love what I'm seeing. Basically, first impressions? This completely feels like a James Gunn film, so violent, a little profane, and also funny? That sounds good to me.


I'm so into this shit, man.

Totally sweet,
Jon

No comments: