Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Films I'm looking forward to - Godzilla

Godzilla. King of Monsters. He's on his way.


I know, I know, I can hear you all right now: "But, Jon... you're the best (Thank you, thank you), but didn't they try an American Godzilla before?" Yes, my friends. Yes, they have. A couple of times. And they were all awful. Really god damn awful. Unbelievably awful. Remember the one when Jean Reno and Matthew Broderick were being chased around Madison Square Gardens by the plagiarized scene from Jurassic Park? Ugh. Terrible.

But let's forget about that shit for the moment.

You've seen Monsters, right? I know I've mentioned it before now, I'm sure I have, but I can't remember when. Forget it, let's just recap like it's the first time again! Woo! Here we go! So, Monsters is set in a world where a meteor crash-landed on the Texas/Mexico border that was teeming with alien animal and plant life, aggressive animal and plant life. That life immediately set about taking over its surrounding, terra-forming, basically, just like any invasive species would. But not with an agenda, this wasn't like War of the Worlds, it was more like zebra mussels clinging to fishing boats and infesting new lakes all over Minnesota. But, instead of little striped clams, we've got huge walking octopus-like beasts and giant jurassic-looking plants. The Mexican and American governments tried to burn them out and blow them up and poison them, the whole nine yards, but eventually they have to surrender a huge chunk of Mexico and Texas to the things and build huge walls to keep the "monsters" out (spot that metaphor), but there are still people who live there, left behind by the powers that be. So anyway, the movie is about a photographer who gets hired by a rich man to get his daughter out of the Quarantine Zone and back into the States. He agrees and things kind of go like you would expect. It's fun. The really cool part about this film though is that huge parts of it are improvised on location in Mexico, but never come off feeling mumbly or awkward, and even though the effects are all in-house, they still look good and are used and shot in such a way so as to not expose their flaws. It's all around a really good, cheap, interesting, and independent, original sci-fi flick. It was written and directed by Gareth Edwards.

And he's directing this new Godzilla, which is why I'm willing to give the project a chance. 

Let's take a look...



Nice, right? There are several things I like here right off the bat. I like the way they're handing the tone and tension. I like the fact that they're holding back on the monsters (reportedly there are three), but not pretending like we don't already know what Godzilla looks like. I also really like the implication that it's a direct sequel to the original Japanese film, and I like the idea that the bomb tests were actually an attempt to kill the monsters. Finally, I love the size of the monsters and the scale of the destruction.

In the end, most of all, I love Godzilla.

Love him.

Can't wait,
Jon

No comments: