Sunday, December 22, 2013

Films I'm looking forward to - Dawn of The Planet of The Apes

2014 looms and already there's a couple of films I'm really excited for...



Rise of the Planet of the Apes was one of the biggest surprises of 2011 for me. It might also be my favorite genre film of that year too... maybe. Either way, the way the plot was woven into the series' mythology, all while homaging the original films at the same time? Fantastic. Then there was the way they ended it too, with the dark future coming, an inevitable certainty but still unseen? Loved it. And that's not even mentioning the mini Ape Revolt end-piece. It was a well-written, smart and fun film.

If you haven't seen it, I completely recommend it.

Ever since, I have been eagerly anticipating a new entry, mostly just hoping they would make another one. For a while it didn't seem likely. But then the project was greenlit and now it's finally on its way here. And the best part? It looks like it's got everything I love in it. Overgrown modern ruins... Post-apocalyptic societies living among the wreckage of the old world... Warring rival camps... Murderous apes in chalky bone-white war-paint... Okay, that last one is new, but I love it just as much. I can't wait to see more. And while we're about it, let's take a moment to applaud this for being a really well put together teaser trailer. You will rarely see one that balances tease and restraint so perfectly. Well done. Very well done.

Hmmm... I was gonna sign off with some kind of Monkey-pun here, but... well... you're welcome.

Ook, ook,
Jon

No comments: