Friday, December 28, 2012

Updates: What lies ahead


It's that time again. The new year looms close, a peak soon to be crossed, the fresh new lands of the new year just beyond. It is a time to look back and measure ones progress. It is also a time to look forward, to chart the land and see what lies ahead. It's been a long time, folks, and as such, it is well past time for another example of your favorite type of post and mine:

Updates: What lies ahead...
(Or: What's going on with Jon, end of 2012 edition)

2012 was an up-and-down year for me.


On the upside, my latest bout of wage-slavery has come to an end. It's true, I have completed the varied and sundry Job-Aids the Salt Mines had required, wrapping up such titles as You and your whip: An Overseer's best friend and Flailure, how much skin removal is too much? The downside? The tinkling flow of pennies has dried up and I am forced to beg in the streets once again. It was a sad day, let me assure you, even Head Overseer Mungo had a visible tear in his bulgy, milky-pale, cataract eye as he bid me adieu.

Writing-wise


Monsters
I finished the first draft of my second novel Monsters in October. It came in a little behind schedule, but not too bad. A first draft in ten months? Not bad. The downside is that now I'm not only not-happy with the working title, I'm unhappy with the whole thing. The second draft is going to be a holy terror, the issues and problems within are legion, and I'm not looking forward to trying to wrangle it all into some kind of coherent form. Now mostly I'm not looking forward to 2nd Draft editing because that side of the writing life is never fun in the best of situations, but also because a small part of me isn't sure how fixable the issues are. We'll see what the results are when I dive back in with the coming new year. Fingers crossed.


Gunslingers of the Apocalypse
Still trunked. Still going nowhere fast. It may never be anything, but I'm planning on printing it out this coming year and giving it a read. It's been a really long time since I've last looked at it, two, maybe three years. At the very least, I should have fresh eyes and hopefully that will let me knock 20,000 to 30,000 words off and come out the other side with a slimmer, meaner draft. To what end? It's already made the Query rounds and got some good response, but not good enough, right? So, who knows. Who cares? Because I want to, that's why.


Rebel Clever Girl
This one is still in its infancy. Only a couple of chapters are done, but it's unfolding in my head and spilling into notes. It's growing and it will be something. I know where it's going and how it ends, but it's still too early to try to summarize what it's about. I like it, that's what I know. Also, I'm thinking of changing the title to The Impossible Virginia Dare. We'll see.


Short stories
I've got a list of story starters, but I'm not working on any of them at the moment. Short Stories aren't really my thing, so I'm in no rush. I'll get to them when I get to them, if ever. My other projects will keep me busy in the meantime. However, if you really, really, really want to read a short story by me, well you can go here and pick up a copy of Cifiscape Volume 2. My short story Harris is the first one in the book. It's also my first short story to get published.


Is that it? I think that's it. I have a busy year ahead, but I'll keep you updated as things happen. Keep an eye out in the coming days for my best and worst films of 2012 posts and maybe, probably, one about some of my favorite comics of 2012. Maybe. Probably. Most likely. Until then, you know where to find me.

Happy New Year,
Jon