Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Hobbit

Well, well, well, what a fine thing to find this morning. Have you seen it? I've posted it below, if you want to skip ahead and just go watch it, I'll understand.

It looks great, suitably epic, dark and dangerous and yet obviously maintaining its generally lighter tone, just great. I am ready. Now, I realize I may be setting myself up for a big fall, but I can't help it, I'm excited. Honestly, I haven't looked forward to a film this much, with this much faith in the creators' combined abilities to put out a really great product since the time before the Great Letdown of '99 by He who will not be Named. Is that scary? Yes. I'd be a fool if I didn't realize the potential for a massive heartbreak here, and yet... I am undeterred. I want it to work so bad, so much. It's my most anticipated film of the year. Yes, I loved the Avengers, but before I saw it, the potential screw-ups far outweighed the potential to be good. There was no way I hoped, no way, because there was no way it was going to work. No way. I was cautious. Everyone was cautious. But they did it. It worked. In every way I could have ever wanted, it worked.

But it was a total surprise that it did.

This film...?

I can't be cautious. I have loved the books forever and the Lord of the Rings films? They were exactly how they were supposed to be. If this film works, and with everything I've seen so far I have no reason to believe it won't, it will easily take the first spot and unseat Avengers for my favorite of the year. Is it unfair to assume that the top two slots in my list are already very easily filled? No. No, of course not. That's ridiculous, it's my list, who cares? But to humor you... I'd still say no, there's too much history between the two franchises and myself, if they're well done, if they're done right, then there's no way I can't love them.

And I can't wait to love this film.


"A box without hinges, key, or lid, yet golden treasure inside is hid..."
- Bilbo Baggins, beneath the Goblin Tunnels, deep within the Misty Mountains

Jon

No comments: