Monday, September 17, 2012

Done by Summer's End - Week Six


Progress, kids.

That was this past week's theme. Progress. Big time. In the past week, I have finished Chapters 15 and 16 and I have started Chapter 17. It was a 5000 word plus writing weekend here at the ol' homestead, which is a fine output by any standard, but considering that I'm in my final push, it's all the more awesome. Even better news is that this is what I was hoping would happen. These last two finished chapters and a good chunk of two remaining ones have all been written before, for the most part, so a good chunk of this end-run has been inserting and editing, heavily editing. It's not an ideal way to go about it, but it's basically what I'm looking to do/say anyway, and as a result is really helping me finish up, which is the only real goal at the moment: Finish the draft. At the very least, it's a well formed place holder. Whichever way it turns out, for the time being, I'm driving on.

Finish, that's the goal.

So, for those of you keeping score at home, with these two chapters finished, that means I have a little less than two chapters left before the shitty first draft is actually done. That means there's a week left, maybe two.

Something I am very much looking forward to.


Once the shitty first draft is officially done (not too long now...), my plan is to set it aside for about a month or so. I want it to stew a bit before I dive back in. I want it to settle. This is mostly because, at the moment, I'm not the biggest fan of the thing, so I need some space. Also, I realize that whether or not it survives to the point where I attempt to shove it out into the light of day and try to make it be something is wholly dependant upon my second draft. There are themes that need to be drawn out. There are scenes that need to be added, major scenes. There are a characters that will probably get excised completely. And there are a myriad of general setting and detail issues to iron out, not too mention your usual plethora of niggling little common problems lurking among the text. All this stuff has to be fixed before I start bugging my Beta Readers.

In a nutshell, I have a lot of work ahead of me before this book could ever be considered anywhere close to maybe becoming a real thing. The bottom line is: I don't want it to fail and if I dive back in right away, it will. I've dragged this thing to the finish line, if I abandon it at this point, then it's all been for nothing, just a waste of time. Sure, sure... learning experience, but standing at the end of 9 to 10 long months of writing... that and a couple of bucks will buy you a cup of coffee, dig?

So I'm going to walk away from it for a couple weeks and hopefully when I come back, I'll be able to work on it with some fresh eyes. Plus, hopefully I'll be able to nail down a real title.

That's the plan at least.

And while it's cooling, I'm going to dip my toes into this other project I've had rolling around in my head for awhile now and test the waters out. The idea is, by the time I'm ready to go back and start 2nd Drafting, I'll have a couple of sample chapters down for this new thing, plus a more concrete sketch of the story arc. Here's hoping, anyway...

Right now the new project is called: Rebel Clever Girl. Here's a barrage of potential imagery:



New worlds beckon,
Jon

No comments: