Sunday, August 19, 2012

Done by Summer's End - Week Two

Hey hey, I'm back again.

It's me, Jon, your favorite.

So, as some of you may or may not remember, I am currently working on a new book and I am well along in the process. In fact, with only four chapters left, it's fair to say that I am rounding third and headed for home, so I am posting weekly updates in order to keep track. I started last week with this post here. The idea, for those of you out there too lazy to click on the link, is that with four chapters left and four weeks left in August, if I put down a chapter a week, by the end of the month my book would be done.

Well, first draft done...

It became a project within a project and it's called: Done by Summer.

It's kind of a big deal.

Woooo! Done by summer! Wooo! Hoooo!

Now the bad news: It's not gonna happen...


Because I won't be off by much. A week, maybe two. First off, just by taking a look at the calendar, it's clear to me now that I started a week late right off the bat. These things happen. Secondly, I just finished Chapter 13, otherwise known as only the first of the four chapters I have to complete in order to be "done by summer" and I barely have two weeks left in the month. Shit. Okay, so I'm a little bit behind. Just a little.

But that's okay.



It's okay because, as I mentioned last week, "done by summer" is just an arbitrary thing. It's a goal, not a deadline and there's an important difference there. Besides, the last three chapters should go a little easier, hopefully. Probably. See, two of them will be the big action set piece and the third will be the wrap-up. I'm feeling pretty good about them, because I've wrote them once already for the original short story version, more or less. So, we'll see, but I'm feeling confident. Anyway, yesterday was a clutch writing day and I got good work done. I'm going to try to pull off something similiar today. It should be fun. Today is the start of the good stuff, the downward slide to the end, the big fight...

Today, there be dragons.

Today, there will be blood and fire.


Oh, shit. Look out. Scary.
Jon

No comments: