Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Guardians of the Galaxy

Tomorrow is Wednesday, otherwise known as New Comic Day. A self-explanatory title if there ever was one, right? I'm sure you're all familiar with the sweet wonderful embrace that is New Comic Day. If not, you should try it, swing on down to the ol' LCS--that's the cool kids' way of saying Local Comic Shop--and pick something up. There is a comic book for everyone, after all, it's not all superheroes and sequential art storytelling is our oldest form of storytelling, y'know, not to put the burden of guilt and the not so insignificant weight of history and tradition upon your unfamiliar shoulders...


But anyway, this past week saw the advent of that Great Geek Happening, the Mecca of Geekdom, the Central Hub of all the Nerdacy in the world, that grand old dame the SDCC, the San Diego Comic Convention. There were many teased projects, a plethora of ebullient celebrations, and unfortunate costume choices galore. There were announcements, too, the coming attractions, the things to look forward to, yadda, yadda, yadda, quack, quack, quack.

One such announcement was this...


How cool is that? Huh? Looks great, right? ...What? What is it, you ask? That, my friends, is the Guardians of the Galaxy. It's based on a book by Marvel comics and the movie is slated for 2014.


What's it about? Well, there are actually two different versions of the Guardians of the Galaxy, but the ones shown above are from the current era, a book that started in 2008. Basically the far end of the Marvel Universe, way out in deep space, was battered and smashed by a pair of back to back Intergalactic Wars, Cosmos-spanning Empires fell, new powers rose. In the aftermath of those fights, Peter Quill, the Star Lord--a kind of space cop--decided to form a team of Space Bad-asses to protect the Galaxy, to... guard it, if you will...

See what I did there?


The team is an eclectic mix of Star Wars-ian cosmic super heroes to include (for the film): Drax the Destroyer--a dead man stuck in an alien body and bent on bloody revenge, Gamora--a former master assassin for the Mad Titan, Thanos (the purple guy we all glimpsed in the mid-credit scene of the Avengers movie). She's known as the "most dangerous woman in the galaxy" (Side bar: Side boob), Groot--a sentient tree who only ever says: "I am Groot", and Rocket Raccoon--a talking Raccoon with a really big gun (actually an alien that looks like a Raccoon, but whatever) and apparently they go about and have galaxy-wide adventures, star-spanning adventures. Big time.


I wouldn't know. I've never read it, I read the old series when I was but a wee bairn, but the new one? Nope, never. The problem is the writers aren't really a pair of my most favorites, but some of the art I've seen has always appealed to me, so with the movie coming and all, I intend to read it. The idea of a space opera super hero story sounds like a good God damn time to me, so I want to be ready.

Next time I hit the LCS, I'll pick up the first trade. I'll let you know what I think.

Feelin' comic bookish,
Jon

No comments: