Friday, July 6, 2012

Beasts of the Southern Wild



Every year I put together a list of films I am looking forward to. You can find this year's list here. I think it's good to have a list, it's fun to follow and it is fun to see how the new year's expectations shake out versus their eventual reality post-viewing (so far, of the 5 films on my list that I've seen, two have been ok, one was really disappointing, and two were incredible, easy entries into my all-time favorite list. Also, a sixth one has been pulled from release by the studio, despite the awesome trailer, which is never a good sign, and another has gone back for seven weeks of reshoots, which is long enough to film an entire brand new movie, so that's a REALLY bad sign...). Anyway, it's always fun to track... fun for me at least... whatever, but one of my favorite things is when a film will pop up unexpectedly, an unknown, a film I didn't even know to look forward to. I love that.

Beasts of the Southern Wild is one such film. Shot with amateurs in a Katrina-wrecked Louisiana, this is Director Benh Zeitlin's first feature length film and it looks amazing.

From the Sundance Film Festival -
Hushpuppy, an intrepid six-year-old girl, lives with her father, Wink, in "the Bathtub," a southern Delta community at the edge of the world. Wink's tough love prepares her for the unraveling of the universe; for a time when he's no longer there to protect her. When Wink contracts a mysterious illness, nature flies out of whack-temperatures rise, and the ice caps melt, unleashing an army of prehistoric creatures called aurochs. With the waters rising, the aurochs coming, and Wink's health fading, Hushpuppy goes in search of her lost mother.


Looks great,
Jon

No comments: