Thursday, June 7, 2012

The State of Jon (Updates)



Hey there! It's been awhile, right? Long enough that in the time since I started this particular post and then put it on hold, I've started a new job. And it has kind of thrown a wrench into my usual schedule. I go into some detail about it over at the Scribblerati blog.

The good news is: Things are beginning to settle back down. They're finding a new groove, the storm clouds are breaking and the sun has started to shine through again. Sure, I've got some stuff I could watch. Sure, I've got some stuff I could read. Sure, I've definitely got some stuff I could be writing, I'm a busy, busy, busy man, but you know what? I had a realization and that realization was that right now? Today? I would rather spend a little quality time with you guys, my favorite blog-readers. That's right, you're my favorite. You. Not those other people, but you specifically. Aw... shucks, right? Feels good, don't it? And you know what else? I had a second realization right on the heels of the first one. Do you know what that realization was?

I realized it has been way too long since the last time I did an Updates post...

Let's do this.

UPDATES!

So, if you took the time a few paragraphs ago and read my last post over at the Scribblerati blog, then you already know the horrible new truth: I am a working man again. Shed your tears for the death of a dream, my friends, for I have left behind the life of an unemployed artist and I have re-entered the world of part-time drudgery and endless wage-slavery. It's not all bad news, of course, they do give me a few pennies here and there for my sisyphean efforts, not to mention free coffee that only kind of tastes like old pee. So there's that, but as I said over at the Scribblerati blog, this new flesh I have donned has thrown off my writing schedule some over the past few weeks, but it is a situation that will have hopefully achieved a little more of a life-balance once again, starting this weekend.

Fingers crossed...

Monsters (WIP)

I'm well over halfway done with the shitty first draft.

The bad news is that the next few chapters are going to be a bit of a stumble and slog, because I really only have the vaguest idea of what I'm going to be do in them. This is the "mushy middle" and it will all definitely require a lot of attention down the road, but for now I'm just trying to get though it and out the other side. The upside is that--due to the aforementioned new job situation--the question of what happens has gotten a little more clear, benefiting from the chance to percolate these past few weeks, so I anticipate wrapping them up in a few days or so.

After that?

After that I estimate there being only six, maybe seven chapters left? Maybe? Give or take? Close enough. Regardless, my intention of getting "done by summer" is still possible, job or no job. That's the good news. The bad news is that finishing the shitty first draft only means that there's a real bitch of a second draft waiting for me out there... biding its time... Also of some concern, as the end of the shitty first draft draws near, is the fact that Monsters is just a generic working title, and a bad one at that, so the question has begun to nag at me:

What the hell is this thing going to be called?


Status: Questions, questions, questions...

Gunslingers of the Apocalypse

I am currently waiting for an edit to come back. Then I'll work through that and hopefully boot 20,000 or so plus words out of the thing, hopefully, and then we'll see. Any further forward momentum will depend totally upon how the book looks after this latest edit.

Status: Stayin' alive, stayin' alive

Short stories

My short story "Harris" (The one that appeared in Cifiscape, Vol. 2? The one I blogged about here?), well, it will be appearing in the June 2012 issue of eFiction Magazine. They're a digital magazine with some short stories and poetry and stuff in it, some published and known folk, some unpublished and unknown folk. You never know what you're gonna get. You should check it out. It's a good time. Plus it's cheap. A year's subscription is only $20, that's chump change, man, what more do you need? Give it a try.

Other than that, my short story efforts are all on the backburner for the time being. I've got other shit to do at the moment (mainly my second WIP novel). However, during some of the downtime between ending the shitty first draft of Monsters and starting work on the second, I intend to pump out some new ones. I've got some story-starters saved, so who knows. Also, I may send off one of my done ones for the next issue of eFiction, if I'm feeling a little bit loco...

Status: Still crazy, after all these years...

Avengers

Just as good the second time, man... maybe even better.



Status: Thank you, Joss Whedon.

So that's it. I've got some blogs planned, so hopefully you'll see a little more of me around here for the next month or two before I inevitably disappear again for a few weeks. It's my pattern. I accept it. I know you understand, dear reader.

Anyway, it sounds like Head Overseer Mungo is cracking the whip again.

Back to the Slat mines...
Jon

2 comments:

Shawn Enderlin said...

Didn't know you were doing another draft on GotA cool! Did you get someone to edit it?

Jon said...

It's with one of the guys from the Cifiscape anthology. He's editing it.