Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Avengers Assemble!


Today is a special day, folks. The kind of day that only comes along once in a great while. Yes, that's right, I'm talking, of course, about Leap Day. Today is a day of balance, a day to bring everything back in line. A day of new beginnings. And new beginnings are rife with possibilities, anything can happen, and that makes Leap Day a grand moment, am I right?

Of course, I am.

And what better way to celebrate a Grand Moment then with something stupendous? It's fitting, I think. Stupendous. Grand. They're like peas and carrots, folks. They go together. It's meant to be. But what should we do, what could possibly be stupendous enough to fit this day of days?

Don't worry. I've got it covered.

The new Avengers trailer. Let's watch it together.


Stupendous! Momentous! Exciting! Much like Prometheus, which I mentioned yesterday, this is another one of those films that I am very much looking forward to. In fact, if it wasn't for the brain-numbing improbability of an actual quality version of the The Hobbit coming out this Christmas, this film would be my number one most anticipated of the year and for much the same reasons.

Like the Hobbit, the Avengers are characters from my childhood. And much like the Hobbit, this film is like an impossible dream. Forget hoping for the chance to one day see them in films, these were ideas so crazy and untethered that you would never even consider it even remotely possible that you would ever actually see them in their full, living, breathing reality outside of a cartoon. It wasn't gonna happen, it just wasn't possible. But then Hollywood started to catch up and Marvel came along, took control of their movies and they started building. It was little hints at first, sprinkled in the Incredible Hulk and Iron Man and then taking a somewhat larger role in Captain America and Thor, they were building a mythology. A shared world. Something that's never been done before. The anticipation, at least for me, is high and the ride to this film--much like the Hobbit--has been a long time coming.

And now it's almost done. So close... so close...

At this point, I don't even worry about it failing to deliver. At some level, I'm going to like it no matter what. I'm just putting that out there, something for you to keep in mind when I start telling you how awesome it is. No matter what, I'm going to like it at least a little. I'm invested. Also, I trust Joss Whedon. He's good. He does lots of good stuff. He has his fans. In fact, I'm a fan. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly and Serenity. Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog. Favorites. Sure, sure, he definitely has his particular idiom that he relies on and you either like it or you don't, that's not my concern. The man has a proven track record and a well established love of the genre, so...

I'm excited.

Can you tell?


Possible problems and concerns:

1. I'm upset they didn't include Giant Man, The Wasp, and the Black Panther in the line-up.

Now, granted the rights to the Black Panter may be tied up at Fox with the Fantastic Four package they're sitting on, I don't know, but honestly, the team needs an active minority. I hate to say it, but it's true, and if it not T'challa, then someone else should have been brought up. Luke Cage is pretty awesome, but he's maybe not "classic superhero" enough, so I'd vote for the Falcon. Plus, he'd come with the added bonus of spinning off into a Captain America sequel.

Also, I'm really surprised that Whedon only included one female character. Sure, Black Widow is awesome and Scarlet is really, really ridiculously good looking, but still... No Wasp? I'm not a big "that's the way it is in the comics" whiner. I hate those guys, for one, and I think creators need elbow room to adapt to different medias, so change is fine, but the Wasp is a good character and what's more, she's what those in the know would call a "Whedon's favorite character". He likes that type. Female. Sassy. Cute. Smart-assy. Capable. Now all that tells me that there must have been some behind-the-scenes crap going on, so it's probably not Whedon's fault, but I'll bet you, if this film is missing anything, it'll be that relatable heart character that Whedon so excels at. Plus, come on... one female character? What the fuck? We can't even get a Ms. Marvel for God's sake?

Finally, although maybe not as big a deal to me as the others I just mentioned, Giant Man. He strikes a good figure in the line (he's the big one in the picture above...). Also, as a character, his neurosis provides a nice balance to the Demi-God status of the others. I know they've been trying to get an Ant Man film off the ground for awhile now and Ant Man later becomes Giant Man, so what better way to launch a possible franchise then by including the character in one of the biggest superhero flicks of all times? Seems like a no brainer, really.

2. And for the "it just kind of bugs me" category, in the trailer, when they do the big group shot and the camera is spinning around them and they're all like: Grrr, we're tough... couldn't they have given Scarlet a bigger gun? What the hell is that? Thor's hammer can call lightning. Iron Man is wearing a billion dollar war suit. Captain America's shield is unbreakable. Hulk is, well... the Hulk. Hawkeye has a bow and arrow, it's just a romantic weapon. And the Black Widow? She doesn't get her Widow Sting gauntlet blasters for some reason and instead gets... what is that? A Walther PPK? Hey, I love James Bond too, but come on, there has got to be something that would look cooler, a little more intimidating and more in line with the bad-assery of the others.

Anyway, all that aside, I'm still excited. And besides, it's a little late now, right? Doesn't matter. I'm ready. And in a few scant months, I'll be there. Can't wait.


Oh boy,
Jon

No comments: