Saturday, December 31, 2011

The End of the Year (2011)


This is the End, beautiful friend,
This is the End, my only friend. The End...

Well, not really. Not completely. Not at all, in fact. Really, it's just the end of the year. Woo-hoo. If you ask me, this is a good thing as 2011 kind of sucked balls, right? It did. I mean, there were some high points, yes, some really good high points, but mostly...? It was kind of blah. For example, I'm currently putting together my best and worst films of the year list (which I'll be posting in a few days or so) and let me tell you, the best of list? Not easy.

So, so long year of the Rabbit, you little bastard! Bring on the year of the Dragon!


The year of the Dragon. Nice, I happen to have been born in the Year of the Tiger. Check out the link. Sounds like me doesn't it? Sexy AND dangerous. Anyway, 2012 is the year of the Dragon, a year where I just happen to be working on a new book... a book that features a Dragon...


Heh... It could be a good year...

Hey, you know what we haven't done in awhile?

UPDATES!

So like I said, 2011 was an up and down year for me, writing-wise. I decided to trunk my first novel Gunslingers of the Apocalypse, with the intention of letting it cool a bit, because there are still some kinks I need to work out of it. In the meantime, I've been busy lobbing short stories at the high and formidable walls of Fortress Publication and for most of the year, I was rebuffed, turned back, as it were. Forced to run away. And for most of the year the best I could say about that particular effort was: At least there were no Frenchmen manning the ramparts with their vicious tauntings.


Yeah, trying to get published is actually a lot like this...

But then...

But then I sold my first story. Do you guys remember that? Have I mentioned this before? No? Oh, well, in that case, check this shit out. I sold my first short story Harris to the second volume of a local anthology called Cifiscape (pronounced Sci-fi scape, here's their website). The book's theme is Minnesota-ish authors writing stories about a dystopian future Twin Cities, but with a little hope, and not always specifically about the Twin Cities as well, whatever. It's cool. You can find the first volume here (Discounted for the Holidays!).

Also...

Also, since a new year is all about new beginnings (I guess), in the next few months or so, I'll be printing out the full "final" version of Gunslingers of the Apocalypse with an eye toward knocking out 20,000ish words, tightening where I can, and generally seeing what a year or so away has done to my eyes. I'm not sure what I'll do with it after that, for now there's only the first goal: New version. Then? Who knows? We shall see.

And that's not all...

And that's not all, I have started work on a new project, the above mentioned Dragon-appearing-within story. It's a book from a short story that wouldn't mush down to short story size, so now I'm letting it stretch its legs a bit. The holidays, being the son of a bitch they are, has cut into my writing time of late and I haven't been able to be at the desk as much as I'd prefer, but with all that shit soon to be behind me (except for a few late presents that I still need to pick up and ship out), my schedule is coming clear, so I am cracking my writing knuckles and getting ready to wade back in there.

Starting with right after I finish this blog...


But wait! There's more...

But wait! There's more! In my ever-continuing quest to better myself and my writing and to seek out new opportunities... Actually, this isn't my quest. I mean, it is, sure. It's everybody's right? I'm just saying that I've never stated this as my quest. It's not a mantra or anything. I don't have it taped to a mirror ala Stuart Smalley, it's just a general thing. That's all I'm saying... but I digress. Anyway, there's this thing, this writers workshop thing called Clarion West. It's kind of a big deal, people know about it.

I'm going to apply to it.

How will I pay for it? What if I can't take the six weeks off?

Distant bridges, my friends, ones that I will cross in the event that I actually make the cut. Which I may or may not. It's pretty competitive, I guess. So, we will see. The important part is that I'm going to apply. After that, we'll see.


Wish me luck!

And happy new years!

I am, as always,
Jon

Also, there's this. You must, must watch it. Really.

3 comments:

Jennifer R. Donohue said...

Best of luck in 2012!

Congrats on your short story sale...I'm still waiting on my first one. We soldier on, despite the Frenchmen.

New projects frequently lend clarity to existing ones; have fun with your dragon.

Jon said...

Oh, I will!

Best of luck to you too!

Qlaudie said...

I LOVE JON HANSEN!